Food waste is a $1 trillion problem – costing the world over 1% of global GDP. We’re dead set on solving the problem and looking for people to help us achieve our mission. We, at Winnow, believe that food is far too valuable to waste, and that technology can transform the way we produce food. Our team is made of people who all share a passion for food and technology.
Winnow was founded in London in 2013 to help the hospitality industry prevent food waste through internet of things tools in the kitchen. We have worked with hundreds of sites and are operating in over 30 countries around the world supported by our offices in London, Dubai, Shanghai and Singapore. We are a rapidly growing company with a strong base of clients who are rolling out our system globally. We have blue-chip customers including Accor Hotels, IKEA, IHG, Marriott, Compass Group and many others.
Winnow’s clients on average reduce waste by over 50% by value and sustain savings. Winnow has now worked with hundreds of sites to reduce food waste, including hotels, universities and schools, staff restaurants, event/hospitality kitchens, buffets, pubs, and high street restaurants. Where the system is permanently adopted, pre-consumer waste value is reduced by 50% - 70% over 2 - 12 months, and maintained at these levels, with no detrimental impact to the perceived quality or value of the offer to their customers, and a net saving of staff time due to reduced food preparation and waste handling. This represents a typical improvement of food cost savings of 3% to 8%, commonly a 40%+ increase in profitability for restaurants. Watch our short videos on our YouTube channel to see the system in action.
We are passionate about living our values and place them at the centre of everything we do. We are excited about like minded talent who share these values, joining us in our mission:
Equal parts head and heart. We’re both passionate and measured. We carefully balance the need for quick solutions and pragmatism with the ability to step back, take in the bigger picture and build for the long term.
Bravely honest. With each other, that means we’re a transparent organisation where healthy, respectful debate is encouraged. With our customers, we challenge them if we don’t think they’re achieving their goals, whether they be environmental or financial.
People of action. Done is better than perfect, and we learn by boldly doing then rapidly improving. We’re breaking new ground, so we know things might go wrong. But we judge ourselves and each other on our reaction and our resilience.
Bound by food. We’re a diverse bunch, but our belief in the value of food is the common thread in everything we do. With each other, we celebrate through our love and respect for food. With our customers, it means we work hard to develop creative tools to make it easy for chefs to value food.
Hungry and humble. Our product is revolutionary, our people are impressive, and we’re hungry for change. But, we’re just the catalyst for a bigger movement. We stay humble regardless of our success, and make chefs the heroes in this journey.
People and Planet Positive. We’re caretakers of the planet, helping to preserve and support it for now and the future. Our work already minimises the impact that the hospitality industry has on the planet, and we’re also committed to actively reducing our own footprint while doing so. We’re leaving the planet and its people better off than we found them.
About the role
As you’d expect with any fast-growing start-up, you’ll enjoy a wide variety of responsibilities. Collaborate with software engineering to deploy and operate our systems. Help automate and streamline our operations and processes. Build and maintain tools for deployment, monitoring and operations. Troubleshoot and resolve issues on our environments. Focus on delivering solutions to production and good knowledge of SQL and Databases (mainly PostgreSQL) and NoSQL databases as data will be sourced from a number of different sources. Keen to learn new technologies - ML(Ops) is a very young branch of Tech and it is evolving super fast, so following and learning new technologies is crucial to keep up with it.
From May 2022, Winnow has adopted a hybrid working model where employees come to the office two days a week and can choose to work from home or from the office for the rest of the week.
- Deploy, automate, maintain and manage AWS cloud based system, to ensure the availability, performance, scalability and security of our systems
- Build automated deployments using configuration management technology
- Troubleshoot and resolve errors in the existing information systems
- Recommend solutions for enhancing performance by identifying the most practical alternative solutions and assisting with modifications
- Ability to analyze and resolve complex infrastructure resource and application deployment issues
Education and experience
- You are likely to be degree educated having completed studies in Computer science, computer engineering, information technology, or a related field.
- You have significant experience in DevOps/system integration model which will ideally include experience in a technology start-up or a professional services environment.
- You have the up-do-date and in-depth knowledge of:
- AWS cloud infrastructure
- Experience with Infrastructure as Code, ideally with Terraform
- Proficiency in scripting and one or more programming languages (Python, Bash)
- Experience with build & deploy tools (GitHub Actions, Bitbucket, Jenkins or similar)
- Proficient in monitoring and logging tools such as ELK Stack
- Good understanding of RedHat and Debian family Linux distributions
- Experience deploying microservices
- Understanding of databases such as MySQL and PostgreSQL
Technology is at the forefront of what we do, and the success of our company is based on our world-class technology and on finding solutions to real world problems that have not been solved to date. Our current stack includes:
- REST APIs
- Designing and manufacturing IoT ‘smart’ edge devices and expanding using Linux powered devices on the field collecting data using cutting edge technologies
- Focus on security, user authentication, permissions, data integrity
- AWS Cloud using ECS/ECR, VPC, Aurora RDS, S3 and other services
- JIRA, Confluence, BitBucket (Atlassian products), Agile team using Scrum or Kanban (each team chooses the best approach to drive results)
- Moving to a Microservices architecture using Kafka
- CI/CD using Jenkins, SonarQube, New Relic, Docker, Terraform
- Test Driven Development environment with focus on automated testing and quality output
- Reporting and Analytics using Pentaho
- Machine Learning
- You are results driven and can demonstrate how you have delivered effective solutions in a timely manner
- You are comfortable taking ownership and accountability for your work whilst working effectively as part of a larger team
- You have experience working as part of a global team and building positive relationships with internal and external individual across borders
- You have excellent attention to detail and a meticulous eye for identifying inconsistencies or inaccuracies in data. You take your time to get things right first time
- You are transparent and act with integrity at all times
- Able to organise self, including effective scheduling, prioritisation and time management skills, managing multiple tasks in parallel and completing tasks to tight deadlines
- Ability to convince others to expressed point of view and gain acceptance and agreement of plans
- Demonstrates excellent communication skills. You are a confident and articulate presenter. You communicate clearly in both written and spoken language. You listen attentively; you process and comprehend what you hear. You are also confident enough to ask questions and to clarify ambiguous points.
- Track record of identifying problems, analysing options and deploying sound decision making skills.
- Motivated and curious, you love absorbing new information and are able to reliably recall and figure out how to rapidly apply it. You have the courage, when appropriate to learn new technology rather than sticking to what you know already.
Our shared attributes
- You are both passionate and measured. You carefully balance the need for quick solutions and pragmatism with the ability to step back, take in the bigger picture and build for the long term
- You are transparent in approach and enjoy healthy, respectful debate. You work hard to build open and honest collaborative relationships
- You get things done and seek to continually improve. Your customers want you on their team
- You are passionate about the value of food and are committed to the fight against food waste
- You are humble in approach and quick to pitch in if you see someone struggling
- Competitive base salary and sales incentive programme
- Company stock options package
- Pension scheme
- Eye care vouchers
- Life insurance
- Company part-funded health insurance
- 2 Wellness hours per month, plus a £20 monthly wellness allowance
- Employee Assistance Programme - 24/7 helpline for your wellbeing
- 25 days of paid vacation time (plus the option to buy a further 5 days annual leave) in addition to national holidays
- You will love what you do – waking up every day solving one of the biggest social problems of our generation
- Committed team members with broad experience who share a common passion to build a world class business