Food waste is a $1 trillion problem – costing the world over 1% of global GDP. We’re dead set on solving the problem and looking for people to help us achieve our mission. We, at Winnow, believe that food is far too valuable to waste, and that technology can transform the way we produce food. Our team is made of people who all share a passion for food and technology.
Winnow was founded in London in 2013 to help the hospitality industry prevent food waste through internet of things tools in the kitchen. We have worked with hundreds of sites and are operating in over 30 countries around the world supported by our offices in London, Dubai, Shanghai, Singapore, Romania and North America. We are a rapidly growing company with a strong base of clients who are rolling out our system globally. We have blue-chip customers including Accor Hotels, IKEA, IHG, Marriott, Compass Group and many others.
Winnow’s clients on average reduce waste by over 50% by value and sustain savings. Winnow has now worked with hundreds of sites to reduce food waste, including hotels, universities and schools, staff restaurants, event/hospitality kitchens, buffets, pubs, and high street restaurants. Where the system is permanently adopted, pre-consumer waste value is reduced by 50% - 70% with no detrimental impact to the perceived quality or value of the offer to their customers. This represents a typical improvement of food cost savings of 3% to 8%, commonly a 40%+ increase in profitability for operations.
As the global leader in addressing food waste, we are committed to continue pushing the envelope on what technology can do to solve this problem. Winnow Vision, our new artificial intelligence-based technology, is trained to automatically track all food waste thrown away. It has won awards at the World Economic Forum and has received tremendous enthusiasm from our clients and the industry. You can read more about it on our website and this article in Forbes.
About the role
A rare an exciting opportunity has arisen for an experienced Head of Development to join Winnow with a view to leading a talented team of 10 who are responsible the company’s core data and reporting platform. This enables Winnow to serve clients at a global scale and provide the best possible experience for our internal and external users.
The ownership of such a product involves many different concerns: developing and maintaining cloud-side pipelines, integrating with 3rd party systems, communicating and managing in-kitchen edge devices.
With front-line exposure to our systems, you will have the opportunity to expand / enrich your knowledge in this exciting and cutting edge arena, whilst also playing a key role in the career development of your team. You'll report to the Head of Development (based in London), and will play a senior figurehead in the Cluj office whilst also acting as a key member of the Global Technical Leadership team.
We use a wide variety of technologies to solve the complex problems we are facing. Our favourite candidates are experienced engineers, who have a solid understanding of modern software development and delivery methods, follow best practices in any programming language, use the best tool for the job, and can adapt to a rapidly changing environment.
In addition to leading and inspiring a growing team, you will also be involved with mant aspects of software delivery:
- Creating technical designs
- Writing reusable, testable, and efficient code
- Implementing automated tests
- Developing CI/CD pipelines
- Deploying, monitoring, and maintaining the production system
- Conducting and receiving code reviews
- Mentoring and coaching team members
You will be working as part of a best in class product and engineering team, delivering cutting edge software solutions.
Beyond delivering software, this is a role where you can really make an impact on the team's best practices and culture.
Our current technology stack is outlined below:
- Java 17
- Spring Boot, Apache Camel
- PostgreSQL, MySQL
- REST APIs
- Microservice-style, event-driven cloud architecture
- Continuous Integration and Delivery using Jenkins, SonarQube
- Terraform, NewRelic for infrastructure management
- Pentaho / Saiku for Business Intelligence
- IoT ‘smart’ edge devices (Android tablets / Nvidia TX2)
- In the company we also use: Android apps (Kotlin/Java), MySQL, Mode Analytics, Serverless functions
- You should have a deep understanding of the Java programming language, and developing web-based services and systems
- You will have managed a team in the past and will be genuinely excited about your responsibilities as a people manager
- Your primary focus will be developing our server-side software (mostly Java, REST APIs, and Kafka) but able to help out with other technologies (e.g. Python, Go, VueJS) when necessary
- Experience with relational databases and SQL queries (ideally PostgreSQL)
- Experience with the development of a major project/product hosted in a major public cloud (ideally AWS)
- You should be comfortable with using Linux terminal environments
- Understanding of programming (not just using frameworks, extensions and plugins but understanding what they do, how they work and if needed build/extend them)
- Understanding of Continuous Integration, Continuous Delivery, Unit and Integration Testing
- Experience working with tools like JIRA and Confluence
- Basic understanding of front-end technologies
- Using Jenkins as the CI tool is a plus
- Competitive base salary
- Company stock options package
- Eligible for discretionary annual bonus
- 2 Wellness hours per month, plus a 137 RON gross monthly wellness allowance
- We finish work on Fridays at 3pm in every Winnow office around the globe
- Employee Assistance Programme - 24/7 helpline for your wellbeing
- Group Life Insurance policy
- Meal vouchers - 30 ron/working day
- Subsidised health insurance
- Paid vacation time in addition to national holidays
- You will love what you do – waking up every day solving one of the biggest social problems of our generation
- Committed team members with broad experience who share a common passion to build a world class business