Food waste is a $1 trillion problem – costing the world over 1% of global GDP. We’re dead set on solving the problem and looking for people to help us achieve our mission. We, at Winnow, believe that food is far too valuable to waste, and that technology can transform the way we produce food. Our team is made of people who all share a passion for food and technology.
Winnow was founded in London in 2013 to help the hospitality industry prevent food waste through internet of things tools in the kitchen. We have worked with hundreds of sites and are operating in over 30 countries around the world supported by our offices in London, Dubai, Shanghai, Singapore, Romania and North America. We are a rapidly growing company with a strong base of clients who are rolling out our system globally. We have blue-chip customers including Accor Hotels, IKEA, IHG, Marriott, Compass Group and many others.
Winnow’s clients on average reduce waste by over 50% by value and sustain savings. Winnow has now worked with hundreds of sites to reduce food waste, including hotels, universities and schools, staff restaurants, event/hospitality kitchens, buffets, pubs, and high street restaurants. Where the system is permanently adopted, pre-consumer waste value is reduced by 50% - 70% with no detrimental impact to the perceived quality or value of the offer to their customers. This represents a typical improvement of food cost savings of 3% to 8%, commonly a 40%+ increase in profitability for operations.
As the global leader in addressing food waste, we are committed to continue pushing the envelope on what technology can do to solve this problem. Winnow Vision, our new artificial intelligence-based technology, is trained to automatically track all food waste thrown away. It has won awards at the World Economic Forum and has been received tremendous enthusiasm from our clients and the industry. You can read more about it on our website and this article in Forbes.
About the role
Our team is responsible for the development of the company’s flagship product: Winnow Vision. This state-of-the-art device leverages cutting edge computer vision technology to provide the best possible experience for our users.
Developing such a product involves many different concerns and teams: optimising software performance on the Edge devices, developing the cloud systems that manage our fleet and collect data from them, and supporting AI research.
We are looking for a talented and experienced software engineer to join our team and help us in this mission. With front-line exposure to our systems, you will have the opportunity to expand / enrich your knowledge in this exciting and cutting edge arena.
We use a wide variety of technologies to solve the complex problems we are facing. Our favourite candidates are developers that follow best practices in any programming language, who use the best tool for the job and can adapt to a rapidly changing environment.
You will be expected to be involved with all aspects of software delivery:
- Creating technical designs
- Writing reusable, testable, and efficient code
- Implementing automated tests
- Developing CI/CD pipelines
- Deploying, monitoring, and maintaining the production system
You will be working as part of a best in class product and engineering team, delivering cutting edge software solutions.
Our current technology stack is outlined below:
- Java, Go, Python
- Spring Boot, Apache Camel
- Shell scripting
- REST APIs
- Kafka, MQTT
- Docker for both our cloud and edge-device applications
- Microservice-style, event-driven cloud architecture
- IoT ‘smart’ edge devices (Android tablets / Nvidia TX2)
- Linux-based embedded OS on our Edge devices
- Continuous Integration and Delivery using Jenkins, SonarQube
- Terraform, NewRelic for infrastructure management
- In the company we also use: VueJS, Android apps (Kotlin/Java), MySQL, Mode Analytics, Pentaho / Saiku, Serverless functions
Winnow has adopted a hybrid working model where employees come to the office two days a week and can choose to work from home or from the office for the rest of the week.
- You should have a good understanding of the Java programming language and developing webservices which you will have gained in your professional working career
- You will have an interest to learn and work with other tools and languages, such as Go and Python
- Your primary focus will be developing our server-side or edge-device software (mostly Java at the server using Kafka or REST APIs and Go/Python at the edge) but willing to help out with other technologies (e.g. VueJS) when necessary
- You should be comfortable with using Linux terminal environments
- Experience with relational databases and SQL queries (ideally PostgreSQL)
- Understanding of programming (not just using frameworks, extensions and plugins but understanding what they do, how they work and if needed build/extend them)
- Understanding of Continuous Integration, Continuous Delivery, Unit and Integration Testing
- Experience working with tools like JIRA and Confluence
- Basic understanding of front-end technologies
- Experience with the development of a major project/product hosted in AWS is a plus
- Using Jenkins as the CI tool is a plus
- Competitive base salary and sales incentive programme
- Company stock options package
- Eligible for discretionary annual bonus
- Subsidised health insurance
- Early finish Friday - where you can, log off anytime from 3pm on a Friday
- Life insurance
- Pension scheme
- 2 Wellness hours per month, plus a £20 monthly wellness allowance
- Employee Assistance Programme - 24/7 helpline for your wellbeing
- 25 days of paid vacation time (plus the option to buy a further 5 days annual leave) in addition to national holidays (plus accrue more leave as your length of service increases)
- You will love what you do – waking up every day solving one of the biggest social problems of our generation
- Committed team members with broad experience who share a common passion to build a world class business