About the company
Food waste is a $1 trillion problem – costing the world over 1% of global GDP. We’re dead set on solving the problem and looking for people to help us achieve our mission. We, at Winnow, believe that food is far too valuable to waste, and that technology can transform the way we produce food. Our team is made of people who all share a passion for food and technology.
Winnow was founded in London in 2013 to help the hospitality industry prevent food waste through internet of things tools in the kitchen. We have worked with hundreds of sites and are operating in over 30 countries around the world supported by our offices in London, Dubai, Shanghai, Singapore, Romania and North America. We are a rapidly growing company with a strong base of clients who are rolling out our system globally. We have blue-chip customers including Accor Hotels, IKEA, IHG, Marriott, Compass Group and many others.
Winnow’s clients on average reduce waste by over 50% by value and sustain savings. Winnow has now worked with hundreds of sites to reduce food waste, including hotels, universities and schools, staff restaurants, event/hospitality kitchens, buffets, pubs, and high street restaurants. Where the system is permanently adopted, pre-consumer waste value is reduced by 50% - 70% with no detrimental impact to the perceived quality or value of the offer to their customers. This represents a typical improvement of food cost savings of 3% to 8%, commonly a 40%+ increase in profitability for operations.
As the global leader in addressing food waste, we are committed to continue pushing the envelope on what technology can do to solve this problem. Winnow Vision, our new artificial intelligence-based technology, is trained to automatically track all food waste thrown away. It has won awards at the World Economic Forum and has been received tremendous enthusiasm from our clients and the industry. You can read more about it on our website and this article in Forbes.
We are passionate about living our values and place them at the centre of everything we do. We are excited about like-minded talent who share these values, joining us in our mission:
Equal parts head and heart. We’re both passionate and measured. We carefully balance the need for quick solutions and pragmatism with the ability to step back, take in the bigger picture and build for the long term.
Bravely honest. With each other, that means we’re a transparent organisation where healthy, respectful debate is encouraged. With our customers, we challenge them if we don’t think they’re achieving their goals, whether they be environmental or financial.
People of action. Done is better than perfect, and we learn by boldly doing then rapidly improving. We’re breaking new ground, so we know things might go wrong. But we judge ourselves and each other on our reaction and our resilience.
Bound by food. We’re a diverse bunch, but our belief in the value of food is the common thread in everything we do. With each other, we celebrate through our love and respect for food. With our customers, it means we work hard to develop creative tools to make it easy for chefs to value food.
Hungry and humble. Our product is revolutionary, our people are impressive, and we’re hungry for change. But, we’re just the catalyst for a bigger movement. We stay humble regardless of our success, and make chefs the heroes in this journey.
People and Planet Positive. We’re caretakers of the planet, helping to preserve and support it for now and the future. Our work already minimises the impact that the hospitality industry has on the planet, and we’re also committed to actively reducing our own footprint while doing so. We’re leaving the planet and its people better off than we found them.
This is an opportunity to join a rapidly growing start-up (and one of Wired’s top 100 start-ups in Europe) and help us propel our growth at what is truly the most exciting and dynamic points in time in our business. You will work alongside a driven team who are motivated by building an exciting business and leaving the world a better place than we found it.
About the role
We are looking for a quality assurance engineer to work across our various tools and services. We develop and manage our own web platforms and Android application through a variety of technologies. You will work horizontally across teams, understanding their products and contributing to delivering solid functional and tested solutions. You will work in Agile teams structured around the requirements of all our departments. It is important to understand that technology helps us deliver our solutions but is driven by the needs of our business.
• Programming Skills
- At least 3+ years of hands-on experience with QA automation (preferably Java)
- Strong Java OOP programming skills
- Solid background in SW development, QA and test automation
- Experienced in writing test cases, generating test data, test execution and test reporting
- Basic skills with Linux system administration and shell scripting
- Good knowledge of Selenium WebDriver
- (Optional) Experience testing Mobile applications. with Appium
- Basic experience working with SQL / MySQL
- Strong working knowledge of REST API / Microservices
- Experience of working as part of an Agile team
- Experience using Atlassian tools (Jira, Confluence, BitBucket, etc.)
- Familiarity with CI toolsets (mainly Jenkins) and code analysis tools like SonarQube.
- (Optional) Familiarity with Non-functional testing
- Demonstrated understanding of different types of testing methodologies and testing life-cycles.
- Proven ability to learn complex software from both the user and developer perspectives.
- Debug problems in software development life cycle to improve testing process using test estimation techniques, tool selection process.
- You are results driven and can demonstrate how you have delivered effective solutions in a timely manner. You are comfortable taking ownership and accountability for your work whilst working effectively as part of a larger team.
- You have experience working as part of a global team and building positive relationships with internal and external individual across borders.
- Demonstrates excellent communication skills. You are a confident and articulate presenter. You communicate clearly in both written and spoken language. You listen attentively; you process and comprehend what you hear. You are also confident enough to ask questions and to clarify ambiguous points.
- You have excellent attention to detail and a meticulous eye for identifying inconsistencies or inaccuracies in data. You take your time to get things right first time.
- You are transparent and act with integrity at all times.
- You understand that the team is relying on you to get things done and you will do whatever it takes to exceed their expectations.
- Able to organise self, including effective scheduling, prioritisation and time management skills, managing multiple tasks in parallel and completing tasks to tight deadlines
- Track record of identifying problems, analysing options and deploying sound decision making skills.
- Motivated and curious, you love absorbing new information and are able to reliably recall and figure out how to rapidly apply it. You have the courage, when appropriate to learn new technology rather than sticking to what you know already.
- Competitive base salary
- Company stock options package
- Eligible for discretionary annual bonus
- Meal tickets - 30 Ron per working day
- Health insurance
- 2 Wellness hours per month, plus a 137 RON gross monthly wellness allowance
- 25 days of paid vacation time in addition to national holidays
- Monthly wellness allowance
- Shared office space with a great working environment and a flexible approach to work
- Work remotely during the pandemic
- You will love what you do – waking up every day solving one of the biggest social problems of our generation
- Committed team members with broad experience who share a common passion to build a world class business