Busuu is one of the top EdTech companies in the world and has won numerous awards for its innovation and impact in language learning.
Busuu’s vision is to empower everyone in the world through languages. We are the world’s largest online community for language learning, with more than 120+ million users from 190 countries, growing at up to 20,000 new users per day. We make learning a language easy by combining AI-powered courses with instant feedback from our global community of native speakers and live tutoring from qualified teachers across the world.
In January 2022, Busuu was acquired by one of the largest EdTech companies in the world, Chegg (NYSE:CHGG). Being part of Chegg will help us to accelerate our growth and achieve our vision even faster.
If you are interested in EdTech and want to be a part of a mission-driven organisation, then we would like to hear from you.
Why is a Senior Front-end Engineer important at Busuu?
While native mobile apps are a massive growth area for us, the majority of our users still experience Busuu through the web. It’s also our longest serving platform, has been at the core of the Busuu experience right from the start. It is incredibly important for us to continue building a great web user experience, both now and into the future, and to find people that are passionate about web technologies in general.
As a Senior Front-end Engineer, you’ll be responsible for all the web products at Busuu, the code, UI, and UX of 4 different projects. Our team is still small enough that every engineer makes a massive difference.
At Busuu, there’s no server-side rendering, our Backend team provides APIs and as Front-end Engineers our daily work is to interact and implement such technologies in the client.
What does a Senior Front-end Engineer do at Busuu?
We trust in people who have a desire to learn and share, we’re looking for Engineers who want to make a difference by creating smart and reusable components.
You’ll be working on implementing new features working in sprints. We’re looking for people who have a passion for the user (UI, UX) but also who are interested in performance and code scalability.
You’ll be working in a team of Engineers from different backgrounds, and you should be willing to adapt and suggest improvements to an existing codebase. We’ve got many features planned for 2022/23 and we’re looking for people working on real-time interactions, and creating friendly user experiences. You’ll have the full support of the rest of the Front-end team, allowing you to lead projects with an experienced team to guide and learn from.
What makes a great Senior Front-end Engineer at Busuu?
- Desire to learn and share
- Strong knowledge of ES5 and ES6
- Object-oriented programming such as TypeScript
- GraphQL query language for APIs
- Experience in Unit Testing
- Strong knowledge of HTML Semantic and CSS
- Experience in building complex layouts and working with responsive applications
- Awareness of cross-browser compatibility issues and client-side performance considerations
- Demonstrated design and UX sensibilities
At Busuu we want to ensure that you have access to some great benefits:
- We have an amazing office which is available for you to work from if you would like to do so, this is completely optional at the moment in the current environment. If you would like to be in the office we have put in place lots of important social distancing practices to ensure you are safe to meet with your colleagues in person
- The office is well-equipped with free breakfast, plenty of snacks, fresh fruit and free dinner of your choice if you need to stay late
- Social interaction is really important to us so we have lots of remote activities for you to join into such as team events, socials, online weekly quiz, etc
- There is a personal training budget just for you, so you can learn more in your field, attend virtual conferences and events that you find interesting
- To keep you active and help your mindfulness we offer weekly virtual yoga sessions
- Busuu offers a great private health insurance scheme
- We like to support our teams with their work life balance so we offer flexible working hours
- Flexible remuneration applied to transport and restaurants through Flexoh platform
What happens next
We aim to have a simple and speedy hiring process and we want to make sure that we are right for you as much as the other way around. The hiring process for Senior Frontend Engineer is the following steps:
- CV application review - We will review it as quickly as possible
- Let’s chat - Quick chat with our recruiter about your experience and the role
- Culture fit interview - On-site or video call with the Engineering Manager
- Technical questions - Technical call with the team
- Technical test - We will send you a technical test to complete in your time
- Coding review - Technical interview and task review with the team
Our platform is for everyone, and so is our workplace. We pride ourselves on embracing our differences, whether they're cultural, racial, religious or otherwise. This means each one of us comes to work knowing that we have a voice – and a safe, judgment-free zone to speak freely.
If you like the sound of that, join us. We'd love to hear what you have to say.