Usborne is an independent, family business, creating books which spark curiosity in children of all ages. These range from books for babies such as the bestselling That’s not my… series of touchy-feely books, to Young Adult fiction from acclaimed authors such as Holly Bourne and Faridah Àbíké-Íyímídé – with everything from Magic Painting to Politics for Beginners in between. Whilst the company is now a market leader in children’s publishing and one of the best-known brands in children’s books, the company retains a friendly and familial feel. If you want to work somewhere close-knit enough for people to know your name, but which has a first-class reputation around the world, Usborne is the place for you.
Due to significant business growth and an extensive digital transformation programme, we are looking for an exceptional hands-on Agile qualified practitioner to help us manage and deliver challenging IT and business projects that will keep our staff producing and delivering amazing books for children the world over. Reporting to the IT Director and working closely with key stakeholders, you will be managing and executing exciting and high-profile complex projects spanning multiple functions in the business.
- Work in collaboration with project sponsors and key stakeholders to ensure shared ownership and successful delivery of the project
- Champion an Agile delivery approach for all software development projects whilst applying other appropriate project management methodologies as required
- Facilitate the necessary business change management required to complement the implementation of new software solutions across the company
- Test and evaluate (in an ongoing capacity) the functionality of existing IT and logistics systems in order to make recommendations, modifications and propose/oversee schedules for change / improvement
- Work with external partners to ensure projects and integration meet specified requirements
- Work with the IT Manager to ensure cyber-security and risk mitigations are in place for successful project delivery.
- Establish and sustain an effective governance framework to ensure the appropriate level of oversight and control is in place across the projects
- Champion data protection and information security and support the assurance and compliance of necessary controls
- Participate in support tasks and be hands-on with other project tasks that need completion.
- Own key project deliverables e.g. plan and budget across the project lifecycle
- Working with the IT Director to manage the digital transformation plan for the company
- Facilitate in project ceremonies and training
- Extensive experience and proven technical background in delivering technical and business projects. software development and delivery experience will be a plus.
- Experienced Agile practitioner who can demonstrate a good appreciation for the software development life cycle and has delivered a significant number of complex projects with numerous data integrations. Qualified Agile practitioner would be an advantage.
- Strong core Programme or Project Management skills with good understanding of Project Management processes, strategies and methods
- Expert knowledge and experience of relevant project management methodologies, development life cycles e.g. Waterfall, Agile, Continuous Improvement.
- Competent in the use of project management tools (MS Project, Jira, Confluence, Asana, etc)
- Possesses a hands-on attitude in order to achieve objectives
- Experience working in a high-level collaborative environment and promoting a teamwork mentality
- Excellent time management and organisational skills and experience establishing guidelines in these areas for others
- Strong sense of personal accountability regarding decision-making and the coordination of project collaborators & stakeholders
- Ability to predict challenges and seek to proactively head-off obstacles
- Is up to date with new and emerging technology
- Experience in working across digital and e-commerce projects
- Project Methodology qualification (Prince 2, PMP, Agile Certifications or equivalent)
- Experience in commerce / retail implementation
Location and Benefits
We offer a 35-hour working week from our Farringdon offices in London with flexibility on hybrid working 3 days in the office and 2 days from home after a successful induction period.
In addition to our transparent salary grading structure, for this role we also offer a range of great benefits including:
- 25 days paid holiday entitlement plus bank holidays, rising with service after 5 years to 30 days
- Healthcare Cashback Scheme for you and your dependents
- Comprehensive Employee Assistance Programme
- 50% Discount on Company Books
- Industry leading Pension Scheme and Life Assurance
We particularly encourage applications from Black and minority ethnic candidates who are currently under-represented within this area.