Carbon13 is a venture builder, fostering commercial, scalable businesses which attack climate change through developing new business models, new value propositions and new tech which have the potential to make significant impacts (a minimum of 10 million tonnes per year) on the reduction or removal of CO2e emissions.
Our new Venture Launchpad programme brings together early stage (pre-product-market-fit) climate tech start-ups with carbon experts, funders, corporates, sparring partners & subject matter specialists, while, through the support of an Entrepreneur in Residence assigned to the team, providing them with tools and investment case to prepare them for pre-seed and, later in 2023, seed investment from Carbon13.
The Venture Launchpad will support existing ventures who have already raised funds, or teams who already have a full complement of cofounders – so don’t need the full Carbon13 Venture Builder programme but need support to improve their carbon intelligence, develop their value proposition/product strategy, business model, organisational practices and investment readiness in order to raise pre-seed or seed investment.
The Head of Venture Launchpad will work closely with the venture builder programme team, and head of the venture accelerator to support new ventures with funding and/or already with co founders.
Within our structure, the Head of Venture Launchpad is one of seven “product owners”. That means the postholder takes ownership of the strategy and key objectives for the Launchpad, and annually puts forward a strategy for approval by the board. With the support and coaching of the Senior Management Team, they then take responsibility for achieving the strategy as part of the C13 team.
Accordingly, duties evolve to match the needs of the agreed strategy for the Venture Launchpad product, and these will be regularly reviewed with the line manager and refreshed as needed. However, initial duties include:
Develop the programme to be competitive and attractive to early stage climate tech founders
Work with Talent Marketing to promote the programme, and assist in the selection of applicants and onboarding of new ventures
- Work closely with the fund team to ensure due diligence of the new ventures, both pre-acceptance and pre-investment
- Work closely with the programme team to ensure quality delivery of workshops, events and engagement opportunities
- Work with the Carbon Intelligence team to develop the team’s carbon intelligence and expertise, and their “carbon case” for their path to 10m tonnes per annum of impact
- Develop relationships with the ventures to assist them in getting ‘investment ready’
- With the EiRs, drive the founders to create all relevant and necessary documents to prepare them for the investment round.
- With the Fund team, support the ventures after they have 'graduated' from the programme to raise funds from other sources
- Where a particular cohort of the Venture Launchpad is sponsored by a corporate partner, work closely with the corporate partnerships team to ensure relevant deliverables are achieved
- Be based in a time zone that is compatible with GMT
- Previous experience in VC / Venture / entrepreneurial environment
- Ability to coach and guide start-up founders through the ‘investment ready’ process
- Highly organised, with excellent project management skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills to be able to build rapport with the founders
- A team player, able to ‘own’ their programme but support the wider activities and objectives of Carbon13