Who we are:
what3words is revolutionising the way the world talks about location. Street addresses aren’t accurate enough to specify specific entrances, and they don’t exist for parks, rural areas and many parts of the world. This causes frustration, inefficiencies and can be dangerous.
That’s why we created what3words.
We have divided the globe into a grid of 3m x 3m squares, and given each one a unique combination of three words: a what3words address. It’s an easy way to find and share precise locations.
what3words is being used in 193 countries, and our monthly active users continue to grow at an impressive pace. Our tech is used by thousands of emergency services, delivery companies, eCommerce businesses, ride-hailing apps and NGOs, and is integrated into the navigation systems of millions of cars around the world.
Who we’re looking for
We’re looking for a Backend Engineering Manager to join the team who enjoys solving problems, leading teams, and designing and building robust and scalable backend services. You’ll be working to grow and support the tech team, set a development roadmap, choose technologies and deliver projects. At what3words, we’re proud of our tech stack. We have built a massively scalable, microservices-based architecture, based around Kubernetes on AWS. You’ll be exposed to technologies such as ReactJS, Docker, Redis, AWS Lambdas, Prometheus, Grafana, Python, Athena, BigQuery, Java, Scala, C++, and Swift.
This a great opportunity to join a collaborative and ambitious team, at one of the most exciting times in this company’s life.
The role is based in our London HQ (at Great Western Studios - ///filled.count.soap). While you can work from the office five days a week if preferred, our Engineering team can choose to work up to three days a week from home. We also offer a six week remote-work allowance; for up to six weeks a year, you can work from anywhere in the world (as long as you’ve got great WiFi and are happy to work on the HQ timezone).
Equality, diversity and inclusion at what3words
Our mission is to help everyone talk about everywhere, and we believe diverse perspectives make for a better company and better products too. We strongly encourage applications from underrepresented groups and are committed to equality and inclusivity in our hiring processes and company culture.
- 8 years+ Java / backend programming experience
- Experience as a technical lead for cross-functional teams, leading architectural decisions and working with other product and engineering leaders
- A passion for helping people grow and seeing them successfully navigate complex challenges
- Ability to create a supportive and inclusive culture, listening to others, and finding the opportunities for your team to grow
- Knowledge of Docker/Kubernetes
- RESTful API design and implementation, working on B2B2C products and supporting external developers
- Experience with AWS/EKS
- Deliver software working full stack and cross-functionally
- Knowledge of DB schema design/maintenance (Redis/Aurora/Mongo/BigQuery etc)
- Experience with data engineering/ETL pipelines is a plus
- Competitive salary
- Flexible working
- 6 week remote working (work from anywhere) policy
- 25 days holiday: plus the option to buy more!
- Share options
- Private health and dental insurance
- Annual health assessments
- Life insurance
- Wellbeing DaysYulife perks and rewards
- Generous parental leave policies
- Family friendly policies
- Employee Assistance Programme (EAP)
- Season ticket loans
- Cycle to work scheme
- Birthday vouchers
- Weekly lunch & learn sessions
- Office perks; free breakfast, snacks & regular team lunches
- Sports and hobbies clubs
- Dog friendly office