BeZero Carbon is a global ratings agency for the Voluntary Carbon Market. Our ratings allow all market participants to price and manage risk. BeZero’s ratings and research tools support buyers, intermediaries, investors, and carbon project developers.
Founded in April 2020, our team combines climatic and earth sciences, sell-side financial research, earth observation, machine learning, data and technology, engineering, and public policy expertise. Our head office is in London, and our people work from six continents.
BeZero is rapidly expanding and we are looking for a Head of Legal who will report into the COO.
This role is an exciting opportunity for you to come in and take ownership for developing, improving and running day to day legal activities for a cutting-edge climate business. You’ll have the opportunity to own all legal contracts covering employees (employment contracts and options agreements), suppliers and customers. This will expand as the business drives customer acquisition and licenses more inbound data feeds.
With plans for international expansion and impending regulations for the Voluntary Carbon Market there will be scope to expand the team in the future.
The role itself will involve:
- Providing proactive legal opinions and advising on legal matters affecting the business and solving legal risks and issues to protect the business.
- Protecting the interests of the business through preventative and remedial actions.
- Managing the end-to-end legal activities, leveraging retained legal counsel for expert advice.
- Running legal processes to complete contract negotiations in a timely manner, including updating and adjusting commercial contracts.
- Monitoring legislative developments to identify impacts on the business.
- Identifying and implementing improvements to contracts and other documents.
- Managing relationships with external legal counsel.
You will be our ideal candidate if:
- You have appropriate legal qualifications (essential)
- You have strong experience managing in house legal activities for a B2B SaaS business.
- You have supported growth for a rapidly scaling company.
- You have worked closely with external legal counsel.
- You have great communication and relationship management skills, with experience using these both with senior stakeholders in the business, and customer legal and procurement departments.
- You’re motivated to enable growth and protect the interests of the business.
What we’ll offer:
- Opportunity to build and own a best-in-class legal function.
- Competitive remuneration and equity in a rapidly growing VC-backed start-up through share options.
- Private medical insurance, dental, critical illness cover, income protection, life assurance, medical cash plan, cycle to work scheme, and a health and wellness cash allowance.
- 25 days leave (with additional time off between Christmas and New Year, and for your birthday)
- Nomad working over the Summer, giving you flexibility to work from another country.
- Bi-weekly catered lunch in our London office
- Enhanced parental leave.
Office: Old Street, London - office based for at least 3 days a week with flexibility to work from home up to 2 days a week.
Our interview process:
- Initial screening interview (15 mins)
- Second interview(s) + skills test
- Final interview with senior management
- Reference checks + offer
We value diversity at BeZero Carbon. We need a team that brings different perspectives and backgrounds together to build the tools needed to make the voluntary carbon market transparent. We are therefore committed to not discriminate based on race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, veteran status, age, or disability.