Unmind is a workplace mental health platform. We empower employees to live more fulfilling and balanced lives by changing the way organisations around the world think about mental health. We believe that everyone has the right to a healthy mind – because we all have mental health, all of the time – and we’re striving to create a world where mental health is universally understood, nurtured, and celebrated.
Having closed our Series B funding in April 2021, and looking ahead to our Series C, we're excited about the next stage of growth which will enable us to deliver on our mission to improve the mental wellbeing of ten million people in organisations around the world. We’re a fast-growing team with over 170 Unminders across London, Sydney and New York and would love for you to join us as our new Financial Controller.
Uniting Behind Uniqueness
One of our values is “Unite Behind Uniqueness” based on the belief that humans are endlessly unique and their opportunities are equally important. In order to fulfil our mission, we want our team to represent the diversity of our users which is why we’re committed to building an inclusive workplace where we encourage everyone to bring their whole selves to work. We want to foster a culture where everybody feels included, heard, and equal – regardless of age, disability, gender, neurodiversity, marital or parental status, race, religion or belief, or sexual orientation.
If there are any adjustments we can make that would help improve your experience with Unmind, please do let us know when you apply or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Role – Financial Controller
Having closed our Series B funding in April 2021, and looking ahead to our Series C, the level of financial support and analysis we will need to achieve our plans will only continue to increase.
That is why we’re now looking for an exceptional individual to join as a Financial Controller. Reporting to our CFO you will own all aspects of our financial operations and help us streamline and constantly improve our efficiency as we scale globally.
As Financial Controller, you’ll be responsible for ensuring all of our financial reporting is as accurate and timely as possible, whilst constantly looking for new ways of analysing and presenting back findings, enabling us to deliver on our mission to improve the mental well-being of ten million people in organisations around the world.
In this role, you’ll get to deal with the following topics:
- Own all aspects of our financial reporting, taxation and accounting systems.
- Monitor the day-to-day financial operations within the company, such as payroll, invoicing, and other transactions
- Prepare tax returns, VAT returns, PAYE, P11d …
- Liaise with auditors, Bank, local accountants, tax authorities
- Cash collection
- Cash management
- Ensure that all banking transactions are optimised (FX, term deposit accounts, Finance lease).
- Prepare R&D tax claim
- Understand the cap table and transactions to maintain accurate information
- Work closely with our wider finance team to provide up to date and accurate management accounts, budgets, forecast and board pack materials.
- Provide support to prepare Board presentations
Tools and processes
- Develop the systems and processes required to guarantee our finance function is as efficient as possible as we scale, working closely with stakeholders across the business.
- Establish and maintain financial policies and procedures for the company
- Stay up to date with technological advances and accounting software to be used for financial purposes
- Provide support to Transfer pricing policy
- Ensure compliance with local financial requirements (Us, ANZ…)
- Maintain our data room ensuring that we are ready for future financing and due diligence, being key support for cash reviews and during any future investment activity.
- Manage the finance and accounting team (currently 2 people)
Skills and Experience
We firmly believe that no one is the finished article and that there should be learning in every role you do. So some of the roles will be learning as you go, and we hope that’s exactly what you are looking for. However, some experience in the following is important for the role.
Here are some of the things that we are looking for
- Qualified accountant (ACA, ACCA, CIMA) or overseas equivalent with a Big-4 or Mid-sized Accountancy Practice background.
- Previous experience as Financial Controller and managing direct reports ideally in a start-up environment.
- Exceptional numerical, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Highly personable and able to develop effective working relationships across the business.
- Comfortable using any accounting or reporting system and willing to constantly look for areas to improve and streamline processes.
- Advanced user of Excel and always willing to improve financial modelling skills.
- Passion for mental health, tech-for-good, and generally improving people’s lives.
- Comfortable working in an environment of rapid growth, constant change, and lots of unknowns.
- Autonomous attitude (you do not require (or like) micro-management).
- Hungry to make Unmind the global category leader of workplace mental health.
At Unmind we believe in having a whole person approach and we hope that our benefits enhance the lives of Unminders, helping them be happy, healthy and fulfilled. You can see the full details of our benefits on our careers page, but they include:
- Private Medical Insurance for you and your family
- Unmind Equity scheme
- 25 days annual leave plus your birthday day off and celebration days
- Flexible working, including flexible use of Public Holidays
- Summer Fridays
- £1,000 annual learning budget with 2 days learning leave
- Monthly ClassPass Subscription
- Dog-friendly workplace