The 2X Collaborative is a new global industry body for gender lens investing, launched at the UN Generation Equality Forum 2021 in partnership with GenderSmart and the Investor Leadership Network (ILN). It builds on the 2X Challenge, launched at the G7 Summit 2018 as a joint commitment, which has invested and mobilised more than US$ 11 billion under the 2X criteria since. The 2X Criteria and underlying indicators have quickly become a global industry standard for gender lens investing.
The 2X Collaborative now brings together the full range of investors deploying capital with a gender lens all over the world: development finance institutions, pension funds, family offices, financial institutions, asset and wealth managers, private equity and venture capital funds, and other capital providers and mobilizers. It provides members with access to peer learning networks, knowledge, co-investment platforms, partnership and training opportunities, and innovative investment tools.
The 2X Collaborative and GenderSmart have just announced their merger to give a unified, more powerful voice to the gender lens investing community, promote the integration of gender into mainstream investing strategies, and shape the market at scale. The two organisations will start operating as one merged organisation as of January 2023.
Title: Climate Lead
Report to: Director of Programmes / Director of Strategy & Impact
Location: Global (remote)
Start date: as soon as possible
Term: This is a temporary contract position until December 31, 2023. With an opportunity to extend or convert to a permanent position subject to additional funding being secured.
We are looking for a mission-aligned and highly motivated Climate Lead to join the 2X Collaborative in its next phase of growth. The Climate Lead will have overall responsibility and ownership of all gender and climate work across the 2X Collaborative. They will be responsible for promoting the strategic agenda and impact of our work at this nexus, including capacity building for members through the communities of practice as well as other activities and presence at key events, such as the annual United Nations Climate Change Conference (COP) and partner events, contributing to editorial and knowledge products as well as coordinating on in-depth work on standard setting and broader mainstreaming. They will provide deep technical expertise on green finance, which will elevate our impact, focusing on engaging a mainstream climate finance audience. They will handle the relationship and contract with our content partner on this work, Kite Insights, and work closely with other team members across the organisation.
The 2X Collaborative work environment is fast-paced and dynamic, with the autonomy to drive your success and outcomes with the support of a collaborative team. We anticipate the ideal candidate would have at least 8+ years of professional experience with a minimum of 2 years in climate/green finance/investing experience, alongside an enthusiasm in, and good knowledge of, gender smart, inclusive climate finance and just transition. You will have experience leading projects and working with stakeholders across industries and roles and be excited to work for the global industry body for gender lens investing.
We are looking for a person who thrives in a global, digital organisation as 2X Collaborative is a diverse and growing team that is truly global and working remotely from all parts of the world. Please note that the below skills and experience outlines what we believe would be an ideal candidate – but we are fully aware that success and talent come from many different backgrounds and experiences. If you think your unique skills would support our mission and vision, even if you don’t meet all the requirements, please apply.
- Lead the Gender and Climate work of the 2X Collaborative and coordinates collaboration and synergies across 2X member institutions
- Co-lead the 2X Collaborative’s Gender & Climate Community of Practice in strategic partnership with Kite Insights
- Build strategic partnerships with Green Finance Industry bodies
- Facilitate storytelling and narrative building for peer-to-peer learning at the gender and climate finance nexus for members and the broader gender finance ecosystem
- Organise the presence of the 2X Collaborative at annual United Nations Climate Change Conference (COP), especially during finance day and gender day, as well as at other key climate finance events throughout the year
- Work with investors, capital providers and other financial sector actors to mainstream the definition of gender-smart climate finance within the green finance community
- Develop case studies and share know-how on structuring gender and climate-smart financial products and investments
- Develop and design guidance and best practice on gender-smart climate value add work (for example, developing gender-responsive carbon credits or gender-responsive physical climate risk screening or gender inclusive net zero transition strategies)
- Curate content for the 2X website relevant to target audiences and current trends
PRIORITIES FOR 2022/23:
- Upgrade the 2X Gender Smart Climate Finance Toolkit (https://www.2xcollaborative.org/toolkit) with new practical tools to increase the deployment of gender-smart climate finance
- Co-lead the 2X Collaborative’s partnership with Equilo (https://equilo.io/) on all aspects related to climate, including building and curating a gender-smart climate finance pipeline
- Cultivate relationships with prospective members, allied organisations, including industry bodies, and initiators of ideas on climate and gender finance
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCES
- At least 8+ years of professional experience, with a minimum of 2+ years in climate/green finance/investing, with an interest in and good knowledge of gender smart and inclusive climate finance. Experience across asset classes, investment instruments, geographies and sectors a plus; practical investment experience is highly desirable
- Experience with some or all of the following; climate finance methodologies and green taxonomies and their application by investors, capital providers and other financial sector actors; the recommendations of the Task Force for Climate-Related Financial Disclosures (TCFD) and their implementation across financial institutions, Net Zero Transition Strategies and Net Zero Target Setting, climate impact measurement
- Solid leadership, organising and convening skills to organise and facilitate high-level events at COP and curated practitioner sessions
- Professional team-oriented person who thrives in a collaborative environment, solid partnership, alliance building and collaboration skills
- Innovative writing skills and ability to develop toolkits and storytelling content. Public speaking capability and interest is a plus
- Self-starter, highly motivated and takes initiative to achieve common goals in collaboration with others
- Very strong alignment with and passion for the mission of the 2X Collaborative
MISSION & VALUES
The 2X Collaborative’s vision is to transform finance systems as a powerful tool to promote intersectional gender parity, inclusive economies and sustainability. To this end, we convene and equip investors to increase the volume and impact of capital directed towards gender equality & women’s empowerment and to transform investor cultures to embed gender in all investment frameworks.
As a global organisation at the forefront of gender-smart investing with an intersectional lens, we are deeply committed to walking the talk on diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging. We are convinced that organisations thrive when diverse perspectives and experiences come together. An organisational culture that truly values this diversity is at the core of our DNA.
We welcome all applicants regardless of sex, gender, race, ethnicity, age, ability, pregnancy and maternity, religion or belief, sexual orientation or educational background.
- A salary range of USD 75,000 – USD 95,000, depending on the candidate's experience and credentials
- The structure of the employment relationship for this temporary role will be considered in collaboration with the successful candidate. This will determine employment benefits and options available. 2X Collaborative is proud to offer employment benefits and pay through a payroll provider in the local currency of the candidate, if chosen.
- Flexible work hours with the understanding that we are a global team and will need to collaborate across different time zones within reason
- Generous vacation package to promote positive work-life balance for our employees