HyperionDev is the largest online coding bootcamp provider in EMEA, with headquarters in Cape Town and London. HyperionDev partners with top universities such as the University of Edinburgh and Stellenbosch University, to launch coding bootcamps under their brand that accelerate students into a tech career from over 40 countries.
We are dedicated to closing the global tech skills gap and we achieve this by integrating tech education with human mentorship and expert code review, lowering the cost of accessing tech careers.
We won first prize in Facebook's Innovation Challenge, with Facebook selecting us as the most socially impactful startup operating in Africa and financially backing us, alongside Google. In 2020-21, we closed one of the largest Series A fundraises in edtech and the largest edtech crowdfunding campaign in history, with nearly 2000 investors backing us.
We were originally launched from the University of Cambridge, and our leadership team consists of world-leading talent from tech and edtech companies such as Google, 2U, Corusera, and UpGrad. We are looking for team members who are ambitious, motivated and have a track record of over-achieving and exceeding targets.
Join us at a time when we are reinventing tech education and how technology can drive higher quality education at scale for markets that have some of the most underperforming tertiary institutions and schools globally.
ABOUT THE ROLE
As the Director of Employability at HyperionDev, you will oversee one of our most important functions - managing the teams that support our students in the latter parts of their bootcamps as they transition into our career services programme and ultimately receive the first invitation to a job interview in tech from a prospective employer. You will develop these functions and in particular oversee and grow our relationships with new prospective employers that are looking to hire diverse and passionate entry-level technical talent. You will also work with our university partners career services departments where we coordinate introductions to prospective employers and run joint virtual and in person career fairs.
You will also oversee the career outcomes for a substantial cohort of students (1k+) funded by government bodies, overseeing additional resources provided by the government to accelerate introductions and relationships with employers. This is a senior role which will also work with and influence the wider business and critical university partnerships, where some of our most prestigious university partners (that include some of the world’s top 20 universities) are relying on the execution of the person filling this role. In addition, you will play a key role in securing new scholarship funding for students by the track record built in your team with respect to graduate outcomes.
You should be motivated with the knowledge that our courses and education methodology changes the lives of people for the better. You must be ambitious and want to make the most of the opportunity you will have being a core part of a small but fast growing organisation.
- Own the team overseeing and growing relationships with prospective employers of entry level tech talent (our bootcamp graduates) to grow our weekly ‘invites to interview’ metric and ultimately the post graduation employment rate of our graduates. This will build on an existing team that has built an extensive network of over 500 employers.
- Own the team overseeing the wider alumni network of HyperionDev, as they grow in careers and become mid level and senior developers, which encompasses one of the largest developer workforces in the world
- Manage and grow university relationships with career services and other relevant departments, as we accelerate graduate outcomes from university branded or certified bootcamps, such as our University of Edinburgh bootcamp graduates (the top ranked Computer Science & AI university department in the UK)
- Be part of the project leadership implementing fully funded boot camps at scale in the UK, EU, and Australia, with an immediate focus on supporting the recruitment and placement of >1000 UK based students in Q4 22 and Q1 23.
- Demonstrable experience at executive level in operational and strategic management, leading project delivery, business development and account management, with at least 5 years of experience leading operational teams in the UK, EU, or Australia
- At least 3 years of experience directly relevant to securing entry level / graduate / junior tech positions in software engineering, data science, web development or a related tech field. This experience may be in internal or external recruitment or through companies similar to HyperionDev that get graduates to career outcomes.
- Strong leadership and people management skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Undergraduate degree in business, management, law or a relevant field
- Extremely strong business acumen
- 2 years of experience in technical assessments and the tech recruitment industry, ie work related to improving the pass rate of graduates through assessment processes such as a on-site coding tests, Hackerank tests etc
- 2 years of experience working in external tech recruitment/placement related to hiring non traditional/diverse graduates, eg bootcamp/apprenticeship graduates
- 2 years of experience in a leadership role in a fast-growing tech scaleup company
- 1 year of experience related to tech education, bootcamp education, or computer science education
- 1 year experience related to diversity in talent acquisition in the UK / Europe / Australia
- 1 year of experience working with university career services teams to market graduates, run career expos, engage with employers or other relevant work
Equity: As a senior leadership role within the company, you may be eligible for direct ownership in the business through our stock option scheme. The company has been approached for acquisition by a number of billion dollar leaders in the tech education space, is backed by investors from the US, UK and South Africa, and we want you to directly share in the success of the business.
Flexible & remote working: We are a remote-friendly organisation and offer flexible work options. However, this role may require once a week presence at our offices in London and travel within the UK.
Bootcamp: We offer our employees the opportunity to enrol part-time in our Coding Bootcamps.
Annual leave, life cover and medical benefits: We provide 25 annual leave days as part of our leave policy along with two half-days that can be taken at your discretion. We also provide health insurance/medical aid contribution and group life cover for our team.
Join the heart of tech in EMEA You'll work with the best of the best in edtech and developer education. Join one of the most ambitious and highest performing tech companies in the space, with a founding team that draws their former experience from companies such as Google, Amazon, 2U, Corusera, UpGrad.
Life-changing work: Solve real problems that make education and tech careers accessible to those who need it most: you're allowed to brag about it.
We're a people-forward company with a purpose that underlines everything we do. We're obsessed with the potential in people and challenge them to do their best work. We embrace a culture of growth and learning to deliver on our vision and ours is a relentless quest for improvement.