Food waste is a $1 trillion problem – costing the world over 1% of global GDP. We’re dead set on solving the problem and looking for people to help us achieve our mission. We, at Winnow, believe that food is far too valuable to waste, and that technology can transform the way we produce food. Our team is made of people who all share a passion for food and technology.
Winnow was founded in London in 2013 to help the hospitality industry prevent food waste through internet of things tools in the kitchen. We have worked with hundreds of sites and are operating in over 60 countries around the world supported by our offices in London, Dubai, Singapore, Romania and North America. We are a rapidly growing company with a strong base of clients who are rolling out our system globally. We have blue-chip customers including Accor Hotels, IKEA, IHG, Marriott, Compass Group and many others.
Winnow Vision, our new artificial intelligence-based technology, is trained to automatically track all food waste thrown away. It has won awards at the World Economic Forum and has been received tremendous enthusiasm from our clients and the industry. You can read more about it on our website and this article in Forbes.
Other recent accolades saw Winnow awarded a winner of Impact 50's most impactful companies to work for. You can read more about it here.
We are passionate about living our values and place them at the centre of everything we do. We are excited about likeminded talent who share these values, joining us in our mission:
Equal parts head and heart. We’re both passionate and measured. We carefully balance the need for quick solutions and pragmatism with the ability to step back, take in the bigger picture and build for the long term.
Bravely honest. With each other, that means we’re a transparent organisation where healthy, respectful debate is encouraged. With our customers, we challenge them if we don’t think they’re achieving their goals, whether they be environmental or financial.
People of action. Done is better than perfect, and we learn by boldly doing then rapidly improving. We’re breaking new ground, so we know things might go wrong. But we judge ourselves and each other on our reaction and our resilience.
Bound by food. We’re a diverse bunch, but our belief in the value of food is the common thread in everything we do. With each other, we celebrate through our love and respect for food. With our customers, it means we work hard to develop creative tools to make it easy for chefs to value food.
Hungry and humble. Our product is revolutionary, our people are impressive, and we’re hungry for change. But, we’re just the catalyst for a bigger movement. We stay humble regardless of our success, and make chefs the heroes in this journey.
People and Planet Positive. We’re caretakers of the planet, helping to preserve and support it for now and the future. Our work already minimises the impact that the hospitality industry has on the planet, and we’re also committed to actively reducing our own footprint while doing so. We’re leaving the planet and its people better off than we found them.
About the role
With plentiful growth prospects in APAC, we are excited to be growing our team and are looking to add a new talented and driven Business Development professional to our business. As a Business Development Manager you'll report directly to our Managing Director for APAC, and will play an an instrumental role in growing and scaling our business in Asia.
With proven success in selling SaaS solutions in a B2B environment, you'll be excited to help design and implement Winnow's growth strategy across various hospitality verticals (hotels, cruise and casinos, quick service restaurants, contract caterers).
Our mission is to reduce food waste globally: Driving the impact expected in food waste reduction at site level is how this is achieved. You will be directly responsible for helping our clients achieve this.
As a Business Development Manager, you will take full responsibility for the end to end sales process, from inputting to the growth strategy through to managing the sales cycle with both our established and new customers:
- Develop a strategy for expanding the sales of Winnow within APAC
- Manage the building of a pipeline within the industry in order to expand sales penetration, and provide solutions-based sales and service offering to customers
- Deliver new business through running large scale pilots with major customers and converting them into broader rollouts across their estates
- Develop deep relationships with key influencers in the market to help build a demand for our product
- Develop strategies for winning and growing our business with major clients, ensuring we obtain the buy-in of the full decision-making unit
- Nurture new accounts, highlighting early successes and advocating for scaling of our technology across their business
- Expand existing accounts, building on past successes to roll out across entire portfolios
- Identify routes into our target clients and build CxO-level relationships
- Participate in events to create new opportunities
- Analyse and assist in the completion of request for proposals from prospects, formulate solutions and follow-up of these RFP's
- Take responsiblity for the successful seamless transition of clients from new sales to operations
- Work alongside a driven team, dually motivated by building an exciting business and leaving the world a better place than we found it
Winnow adopts a hybrid working model whereby we work a minimum of two days per week in the office. Colleagues are able to work the rest of the week remotely should they wish to.
Education and experience
- You are likely to be degree educated
- You will ideally have proven experience in a high-performing SaaS sales team, or in a team selling products to the hospitality industry, with a proven track record of exceeding sales targets
- You might already have experience selling within hospitality, but if not you will be excited about quickly learning about this dynamic industry, and to quickly building a strong network within it.
- You have a good working knowledge of Word/Excel/PowerPoint etc.
- You are comfortable formulating and leading on sales pitches with key prospects and customers
- You have prior experience working with a CRM system, and of extracting and analysing data generated by this
- You are results-driven and can demonstrate how you have delivered effective solutions in a timely manner
- Experience in commercialising new technologies, including running pilots and delivering trial projects, a distinct advantage
- You have proven experience of knowing what it takes to provide consistently first-class customer service to external customers, remaining calm and measured even when dealing with the most demanding individuals
- You are comfortable taking ownership and accountability for your work whilst working effectively as part of a larger team
- With excellent communication skills you are a confident and articulate presenter. You communicate clearly in both written and spoken language. You listen attentively and are experienced in building successful relationships at all levels from CEO to analyst
- You are persuasive and personable and find building relationships with your customers enjoyable
- You have excellent attention to detail and a meticulous eye for identifying inconsistencies or inaccuracies in data. You take your time to get things right first time
- You have a solid grasp of financial analysis to build clear a business case for your customers
Our shared attributes
- You are both passionate and measured. You carefully balance the need for quick solutions and pragmatism with the ability to step back, take in the bigger picture and build for the long term
- You are transparent in approach and enjoy healthy, respectful debate. You work hard to build open and honest collaborative relationships
- You get things done and seek to continually improve. Your customers want you on their team
- You are passionate about the value of food and are committed to the fight against food waste
- You are humble in approach and quick to pitch in if you see someone struggling
- Competitive base salary plus commission incentive programme
- Company stock options package
- Company part-funded health insurance
- 22 days of paid vacation time in addition to national holidays
- Early Finish Fridays - We try to finish on every Friday at 3PM globally
- 2 Wellness hours per month, plus a $37 monthly wellness allowance
- Employee Assistance Programme - 24/7 helpline for your wellbeing
- You will love what you do – waking up every day solving one of the biggest social problems of our generation
- Committed team members with broad experience who share a common passion to build a world class business