So Energy was created in 2015 because we know there’s never a good reason to have a bad experience with your energy provider. Since then our renewable energy business has grown rapidly, with over 300,000 customers and 300+ So Energist and we aren’t done.
Our next goal is to supply renewable energy to 1 million UK customers by the end of 2026 and we are going to succeed in that mission by leveraging technology, remaining customer-centric and hiring people with a passion for sustainability. If you're thinking of joining us then your timing couldn't be more perfect. In late 2021 So Energy joined forces with ESB Energy to become the UK’s next big green energy supplier.
Our People - So Energists Whether you are helping our customers gain energy independence through solar panelling and EV charges or delivering best-in-class customer service to one of our renewable energy customers there are six things all So Energists have in common, our Values:
Clear - The energy industry can be pretty complex so we strive to provide clear communication to our customers and colleagues
Honest - Transparency is key, Whether that's providing clear bills to our customers or trusting our staff to do the right thing. Ambitious - All of us are ambitious about the future of So Energy and what we can contribute to it.
Inquisitive - We are also questioning the Status Quo to see if there is a better way to do things for our customers
Caring - We care about the work we are doing, our customers and our colleagues
Sustainable - As a renewable energy company we are providing sustainable products but we also care about sustainable careers. That's why learning and continuous development is so important to us.
We’re looking for an Engineering Manager to lead and coordinate one of our engineering teams.
The ideal candidate is a delivery-focused people-orientated individual who has experience in leading software engineering teams, has hands-on experience with a modern programming language and has a working knowledge of microsites, microservices, infrastructure, APIs & databases. Has a strong understanding of agile workflow and extensive experience with project management processes and tooling.
What you will be doing:
- Take complete ownership and accountability of the engineering team
- Ensure a highly performant engineering team tracked with relevant KPIs and looking to continuously evolve and improve
- Function as both a people manager and an effective facilitator and collaborator of technical decision making
- Lead and facilitates technical decisions across software engineering practices
- Manage the product roadmaps along with the product manager
- Support sessions on estimation, story refinement, ensuring that acceptance criteria are well defined and that the backlog is suitable for the technical team
- Maintain high level of communication with all stakeholders from Customer Care & Operations, Trading and Regulatory
- Build a strong culture around DevOps and Continuous delivery
- Support the team around agile methodologies implementation and continuous improvement
- Participate and drive initiatives relating to people management including recruiting, onboarding, performance reviews, career advancement, training, etc.
- 7+ years as a software engineer in either Vue, Java, Kotlin or Ruby with 1+ year working as an engineering manager, or 2+ years working as a team lead
- Demonstratable experience managing software engineering projects
- Demonstrates a thorough understanding of software architectural principles and what good software looks like
- Experience with software engineering KPIs – what and how to track, and how to utilize the information to maximize team productivity
- Experience managing and developing engineers across different skill sets (QA, Frontend, Backend, Platform)
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
- Experience with data-driven decision making
- Familiarity with cloud infrastructure such as GCP, AWS, etc.
- Hands-on experience with Docker and Kubernetes
- Hands-on experience with writing tests, test tooling, coverage, etc.
- Working knowledge of database systems & ORMS
- Experience with cache mechanics at various layers of the system architecture, from systems to techniques
- Familiarity with project management processes and tooling, in particular: Confluence, Jira, Advanced Roadmap planning
• Competitive salary
• Life Assurance 4x base salary
•Bonus up to 10% base salary
• Flexible work from home
• 25 days holiday, plus bank holidays, and an extra day holiday for your birthday
• A Personal Learning & Development budget
•Last Friday of each month nibbles and drinks in the office
• Access to loads of great benefits including PerkBox
• Great reward and recognition
• Join a unique culture that embrace peoples ideals and fosters collaboration across the business
• Pension matching as part of auto-enrolment pension scheme
At So Energy, our employees are just as important to us as our customers. We will provide training and support your development throughout your career.
So Energy care about helping the energy industry become a much more diverse and inclusive environment and we work hard to lead by example.
We are committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and building an inclusive environment for all. If you are interested in finding out more please apply making sure to complete all the questions to the best of your ability and attached an up to date version of your CV.