350.org is looking for a brilliant & fierce Associate Director of Global Campaigns, to join our team of dedicated individuals who lead 350’s global campaigns and campaigning initiatives.
350.org is building a global grassroots movement to solve the climate crisis. Our online campaigns, grassroots organizing, and mass public actions are led from the bottom up by thousands of volunteer organizers in over 188 countries. 350.org works hard to organize in a new way—everywhere at once, using online tools to facilitate strategic offline action. We want to be a laboratory for the best ways to strengthen the climate movement and catalyze transformation around the world. The values that guide and drive our work are listed here.
About the Associate Director of Global Campaigns role
The Associate Director of Global Campaigns is responsible for leading 350.org to impactfully campaign around the world in order to redirect funding out of fossil fuels, and into renewables.
There are two primary areas of focus for this role. The first is leading an international coalition, composed of 350 staff and partners from across Asia, Africa, Latin America and Europe. This campaign involves high level negotiations with - major financial institutions and navigating a globally distributed campaign coalition through challenging diplomatic territory.
The second area of focus involves setting a strategy for 350’s finance campaigning, enabling the organization to shift its focus to campaigning for climate finance and investment in renewables specifically.
The Associate Director: Global Campaigns will work closely with Regional Campaigners to develop strong country and region-specific strategies, integrate finance campaign approaches and narratives into other 350.org campaigns, and build effective cross-regional strategies that create opportunities to bring people around the world together for powerful, collective campaign action.
This role will identify opportunities for teams to influence targets and shift public narratives, responding to world events and political developments. They will create spaces for 350.org’s finance campaigners to connect, share strategies and coordinate, creating a strong body of expertise and innovation on finance campaigning within 350.org. They will set up and run effective tracking and reporting processes to help drive progress on financing campaigns across the organization.
- Lead key international coalition driven campaigns.
- Lead on developing cross-organizational campaign strategies.
- Work with Regional Campaigners to develop country and region-specific finance campaigns.
- Design, establish and run effective tracking and reporting processes to support progress on finance campaigns.
- Identify opportunities and approaches for teams to effectively influence targets and shift external narratives.
- Create and manage cross-organizational spaces for finance campaigners to ideate, share knowledge and develop strategy.
- Manage any required contractors or freelance staff.
- Advise and support Communications staff across the organization to design and run effective communications on finance campaigning.
- Support Regional Teams to identify opportunities to integrate finance campaigning approaches / tie finance campaign strategy into other campaigns, such as ‘Keep it in The Ground’ campaigns designed to bring about the cancellation of specific fossil fuel projects, and solutions campaigns.
- Collaborate with digital staff to run effective digital campaigns that answer to finance campaign objectives.
- Support and input on the development of grant proposals and other fundraising initiatives.
- Support the development of policy as required.
- Support the operationalization of justice, equity, diversity and inclusion into campaign planning.
- Keep abreast of external developments across global political and activist spheres that are related to finance campaigning.
- Act as a 350.org spokesperson on finance campaigns.
- Engage in initiatives that foster team collaboration, including meetings, trainings, retreats, and special projects.
- As a member of the Global Campaigns Team, support the development and running of 350’s campaigning ‘Community’, made up of campaigns staff across the organisation.
- Produce training, skilling-up, and professional development opportunities for finance campaigners on staff
- Manage relevant budgets.
- Collaborate with the Trainings and Organizing departments to develop finance campaigner materials and workshops
Required experience and competencies
- At least 5 years experience of managing international campaigns in humanitarian or development work, climate justice, social justice, human rights or related work.
- Experience working on campaigns focussed on Asia
- Proven track record of campaigning in countries in the Global South (with a focus on Asia).
- Experience in analyzing emerging trends and opportunities, and building strategies and tactics for global and regional campaign, movement building and mobilization.
- Experience in security management and risk assessments.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to cultivate and establish partnerships with colleagues, external partners and other stakeholders.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with an ability to translate complex data into clear and simple messages for a wide range of audiences.
- A demonstrated understanding of and commitment to justice, equity, diversity and inclusion (JEDI), anti-racism or anti-oppression work. Ability to manage across differences and work effectively with people from diverse racial, ethnic, class, age, gender, and sexual orientation backgrounds.
- Comfort and ease working in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong ability to manage and work with remote teams from across the globe.
- Fluency in English.
- This role may be required to travel domestically and internationally.
- This role is expected to work remotely with an ability to work across different time zones.
Desired (but not required) experience
- Experience of digital campaigning / a strong understanding of how digital tools, platforms and storytelling can be used to further campaign goals and how to work effectively with digital staff on campaigning projects.
- Expertise in understanding the role that the US, China and Europe play in climate politics and finance.
We are looking for someone who is comfortable working remotely, both independently & on teams, and who is highly responsive, able to lead initiatives while also taking direction from others.
Location: Remote in 1 of 26 countries 350.org works
- Global: Remote within the countries 350.org currently operates. Current countries are: Argentina, Australia, Belgium, Benin, Brazil, Canada, Colombia, Fiji, France, Germany, India, Indonesia, Italy, Japan, Kenya, Netherlands, Nigeria, Philippines, Poland, Senegal,Singapore, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Taiwan,Trinidad and Tobago, Turkey, United Kingdom.
- US: Remote: in the following states CA, CO, GA, MD, MA, ME, MT, NY, NC, PA, VT, VA, WA, or Washington, DC
Position Type: Full Time
Compensation: Level 3.2
350.org is an equal opportunity employer. 350.org strives to be an inclusive and collaborative group of people who bring a variety of approaches to the work we do. We’re committed to the principles of justice, and we try to build a safe workplace where everyone is treated fairly and enjoys working together. We value new perspectives, ideas of all sorts, and different ways of working. Diverse perspectives and experiences improve the way 350.org carries out our work – including what we decide to work on and how creatively/effectively we do that. We do our best to make staff positions accessible to all potential team members, regardless of race, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, assigned gender, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or identity, religion or creed, veteran status, marital or parental status, and genetic information. We also strive to include team members in communities most impacted by climate change or impacted by other kinds of environmental, social, and economic injustice.
If you have suggestions of improvements we welcome you to share your input with us at email@example.com with the subject line ‘Hiring Feedback’