bit.bio is an award-winning spinout from the University of Cambridge. Our breakthrough technology combines synthetic and stem cell biology for the precise, efficient and consistent reprogramming of human cells used in research, drug discovery, and cell therapy. At bit.bio, we are passionate about engineering human cells that will enable the medicine of the future. To do this we need talented and curious people who want to make an impact on the future of science and therapeutics.
As a team of individuals, we value science, collaboration, openness, curiosity and creativity. We are united by trust and respect for each other.
Location: Babraham Research Park, Cambridge
Type: Full time, permanent /
Salary: Competitive / Hours: Full time
Office based position with flexibility for home working
Your role in our team:
We are looking for an experienced lawyer with a strong background in commercial contracts and IP law, preferably with some experience of biotechnology or pharmaceutical industries. Reporting directly to our General Counsel, you will handle a variety of matters from the full spectrum of bit.bio’s commercial activities, plus data protection and other regulatory matters.
Your key responsibilities will include:
- Supporting bit.bio’s commercial teams in drafting and negotiating licence agreements for bit.bio’s products and technology (which may include some travel to support transactions).
- Reviewing, drafting and negotiating a variety of contracts, including product/technology licensing, co-development agreements, commercial/academic collaborations, CDMO agreements, IT, procurement and other types of commercial contracts.
- Developing a deep understanding of the full range of bit.bio’s technology/products and building relationships with internal clients across bit.bio’s offices worldwide.
- Building expertise on bit.bio’s key partners to develop and enhance the existing relationships from a legal perspective.
- Are a qualified UK solicitor with at demonstrable post-qualification experience
- Are pragmatic, pro-active and results orientated
- Are able to think laterally and to challenge assumptions and working practises
- Are genuinely interested in science and technology
- Have experience in working across cultures
With essential experience in…
- Commercial contracts, with a strong background in sales transactions, technology transactions, IP licensing, software and IT agreements and general commercial law experience.
- Data protection regulations and practice
- In-house and/or private practice experience with biotechnology or pharmaceutical companies
- Exposure to working in-house or with start-up companies
- A background in biological sciences, biochemistry or genetics
More reasons to join us:
bit.bio provides a vibrant and dynamic work environment in an exciting, fast-moving time for biology. We work with cutting edge technologies and with our world-leading scientific advisory board. We conduct pioneering work with real-world impact.
We trust our people to make significant contributions early on with opportunities to be involved in projects that are key to the success and growth of our young company. We invest in people, creating opportunities for personal development in an inclusive multi-skilled team with ambitious goals that provide opportunities to learn on the job from each other.
Creativity and open minds are encouraged for everyone to contribute to the success of the company.
For information on how we will manage your data please see our Candidate Privacy Notice