Papier, the stationery start-up disrupting the industry with its eclectic emporium of stationery and desk products that invite curiosity and contemplation, and we are looking for an exceptional Head of Visuals (Art Direction) to join the in-house creative team.
Papier’s purpose is to invite people to uncover the possibilities of a blank page. The Creative team is responsible for bringing this to life by delivering highly engaging & effective assets across all platforms, from the website to emails, and social channels to paid advertising, both online & offline.
Reporting to the Creative Director, the role will establish an authoritative and aspirational aesthetic across all of Papier’s visual content.
Overseeing our in-house visual department, you work closely with a talented team of creatives to deliver elevated video, stills and social content, driving Papier’s brand aesthetic and awareness forward. This role is a true collaborator, working closely with multiple stakeholders across the business and a key stakeholder in developing creative concepts and deliverables.
We are looking for a visual thinker who can determine how to tell a story with video and photography, that appreciates superior aesthetics but also how to make it commercial.
Content creation is a crucial area of focus for this role, delivering creative concepts, campaigns, partnerships and BAU assets for various departments across the business.
Founded in May 2015, Papier is a fast-growth start-up with offices in New York and London. Recently named #11 of the best 100 Tech Start-Ups, Papier closed its Series-C and is excited to add to our growing US-based organisation.
What will you do?
- Reporting to the Creative Director, you will support them in delivering strong creative storytelling from conception through to execution.
- Responsible for executing and elevating the brand’s visual identity alongside the Creative Director.
- Acting as a key guardian of the brand style guide, upholding the highest standards.
- Creating engaging ‘best in class’ content across video, stills and social.
- Develop and present creative concepts and mood boards for content shoots, campaigns and seasonal moments to key stakeholders.
- Multi-tasking across a variety of projects and various deadlines whilst delivering to budgets.
- Build relationships with freelancers from art directors, content creators, stylists and other contributors.
- Lead, develop and manage our in-house visuals team, managing three direct reports and supporting their development and daily output.
- Working with the Videographer to storyboard, plan and execute all video content for ads, editorial and social deliverables.
- Working with the Photographer to evolve the e-commerce imagery and marketing content
- Ensure the team is well-resourced & correctly skilled for the demands of the business, including bringing in freelance support where necessary.
- Review all briefs with the Creative Operations Manager to understand timelines and deliverables are clear.
- Conceptualise and produce content shoots alongside the Creative Director or Jr Art Director, often confirming locations, building relevant teams, styling and finding props when needed.
- Hold regular check-ins with key briefing teams and stakeholders, including Buying, Marketing, Brand and Tech.
- Support the creative marketing calendars and delivery of our roadmap.
- Working closely with the creative operations, copy and graphics leads to ensure projects are on track.
What you will need for the role: -
- Proven, demonstrable and recurring success as an Art Director or Head of Creative within an e-commerce business.
- Strong experience in video direction, storyboarding and production for campaigns, editorial and social and a portfolio to show this.
- An expert in working on or leading varied-sized projects from start to finish, including kick-offs through delivery and retrospectives.
- An expert with photography art direction for stills ideally experienced in creating a variety of content inclusive of social.
- Enter into the role with a rolodex of freelancers you can call on ranging from DOP’s to stylists.
- Passionate about experimentation and curiosity regarding new mediums, understanding digital and social first thinking.
- A portfolio that showcases a strong knowledge of key marketing channels, TikTok, Instagram, youtube and connected tv.
- A confident manager who is able to manage and develop a high performing multiple skilled team.
- Excellent communicator and presenter with great stakeholder management skills.
- Meticulous and detail-oriented, able to develop projects from start to finish.
- An agile thinker with the ability to prioritise effectively and juggle multiple projects of variable sizes simultaneously.
- Strong knowledge of file specifications, resolution, colour and other digital, print, video and social output.
- Self-motivated and resourceful with a positive attitude.
- Global mindset and some experience working with the US market.
- Comfortable working in the office and travelling to locations for shoots in the US and Europe.
- Passion for all things stationery.
Why should you work with us
- We recognise the need for a work-life balance and offer a hybrid working model of 3 days in the office at Maison Papier, our lovely Camden office.
- 25 days annual leave per year + buy an extra five days.
- 20 days per year to Work from Anywhere.
- Private medical and rewards scheme with Vitality Health (including 50% off gym memberships with Virgin Active, Pure Gym and more).
- Enrolment into the Papier Pension scheme through the People Pension.
- Enhanced parental leave policies.
- Cycle to work loan scheme.
- £75 personal stationery allowance, and £150 to spend on our Occasion stationery for a lifetime special event
- 40% staff discount along with a family and friends discount.
- Papier with Purpose. We give back to the community and offer 2 days paid per year to volunteer for a cause you/we care about.
- Constant access to mental health, well-being resources and support from our in-house first aiders.
- Weekly team lunches & regular cultural trips.
- Our pooches are a part of the Papier team and you may see them from time to time in Maison Papier.
- Inclusive and friendly team who will make you feel welcome from day one.
At Papier, we believe that the diverse perspectives of all paper people deserve to be celebrated. A creative and curious community, we strive to be inclusive and equitable to all. We’re an equal-opportunity employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant on any grounds. From hiring processes to day-to-day business, we aim to create an environment that is accessible and safe for everyone. We’re always working towards building a balanced and supportive workplace, with policies and ways of working to ensure everyone can make the most of their time with at Papier.