Lendable is on a mission to make consumer finance amazing: faster, cheaper, and friendlier.
We’re building one of the world’s leading fintech companies and are off to a strong start:
- One of the UK’s newest unicorns with a team of >200 people
- Among the top 10 fastest-growing tech companies in the UK
- Profitable since 2017
- Backed by top investors including Balderton Capital and Goldman Sachs
- Loved by customers with the best reviews in the market (4.9/5 across 10,000s of reviews)
So far, we’ve rebuilt the Big Three consumer finance products from scratch: loans, credit cards, and car finance.
Join us if you want to
- Work in small teams of exceptional people trusted to take ownership and make decisions quickly
- Be relentlessly resourceful to solve problems and find smarter solutions than the status quo
- Build the best technology in-house, using new data sources, machine learning, and AI to make machines do the heavy lifting
About the role
We are excited to be hiring a new Lead Data Scientist for our team! Lendable is the market leader in real rate risk-based pricing, offering consumers transparency and product assurance at the point of application. Data Science sits at the heart of this USP, developing the credit risk models to underwrite loan and credit card products.
You will have access to the latest machine learning techniques combined with a rich data repository to deliver the best in market risk models.
Our team’s objectives
The data science team develops proprietary risk models combining state-of-the-art techniques with a variety of data sources that inform scorecard development and risk management.
Data scientists work across the business in a multidisciplinary capacity to identify issues, translate business problems into data questions, and analyse and propose solutions.
Deliver data services to a wide variety of stakeholders by engineering CLI programs / APIs.
Design, implement, manage and evaluate experiments of products and services leading to constant innovation and improvement.
How you’ll impact those objectives
Learning the domain of products that Lendable serves, and understanding the data that informs strategy and risk modelling is essential to being able to successfully contribute value.
Extract, parse, clean and transform data for use in machine learning, analytic evaluations and investment reports.
Build algorithms and predictive models that enhance underwriting quality.
Translate business issues into data issues that facilitate data-driven solutions and drive business strategy.
Research new data sources, and advice on the costs/benefits of introducing the data into lending decisions.
Clearly communicate results to stakeholders through verbal and written communication.
Share ideas with the wider team, learn from and contribute to the body of knowledge.
Be a great mentor to a team of talented data scientists and the broader analytics community
Thrilled by the challenges of driving many exciting data science projects from both a strategic level and tactical level
Experience using Python
Experience with Jupyter / Pandas / Numpy to manipulate and analyse data.
Knowledge of machine learning techniques and their respective pros and cons.
Confident communicator and contributes effectively within a team environment
Self-driven and willing to lead on projects / new initiatives
Experience in managing data scientists is not required, but good to have.
The interview process
We’re not a corporate so we try our best to get things moving as quickly as possible. For this role we’d expect:
A quick phone call with one of the team
A short exercise to complete in your own time
- Onsite Interview
Discuss the exercise you completed
Meet the team you’ll work with daily
Meet the exec team
Life at Lendable (also check out our Glassdoor page)
- The opportunity to scale up one of the world’s most successful fintech companies.
- Best-in-class compensation including equity.
- You can work from home every Monday and Friday if you wish - on the other days, we all come together IRL to be together, build and exchange ideas.
- Our in-house chef prepares fresh, healthy lunches in the office every Tuesday-Thursday.
- We care for our Lendies' well-being both physically and mentally so we opt for the highest coverage when it comes to private health insurance
- We organise an annual trip with the whole company, to celebrate our milestones and reflect on our achievements.
- We're an equal-opportunity employer and are looking to make Lendable the most inclusive and open workspace in London