We’re here to make money work for everyone and we're doing things differently. For too long, banking has been obtuse, complex and opaque.
We want to change that and build a bank with everyone, for everyone. Our amazing community suggests features, test the app and give us constant feedback so we can build something everyone loves.
We're focused on solving problems, rather than selling financial products. We want to make the world a better place and change people's lives through Monzo.
About our Data Discipline:
We have a strong culture of data-driven decision making across the whole company. And we're great believers in powerful, real-time analytics and empowerment of the wider business. All our data lives in one place and is super easy to use. 90% of day-to-day data-driven decisions are covered by self-serve analytics through Looker which gives data scientists the head space to focus on more impactful business questions and analyses.
We work in cross-functional squads where every data practitioner is a member of a central data discipline and fully embedded into a product squad alongside Engineers, Designers, Marketers, Product Managers, Finance Analysts etc.
What you’ll be working on:
You’ll work closely in the intersection between finance and data at Monzo, a role that will be critical to reach our ambitious goals within this area, which are vital to future proof Monzo and support our mission to make money work for everyone.
You’ll be collaborating closely with the finance leadership team to build out a modern, data driven finance function. You will contribute towards both defining and executing our finance strategy which currently includes significant systems and automation investment. This includes scoping and delivering the data work required to support new treasury and regulatory reporting systems as well as transformation to our accounting system. You’ll also be acting as an interface to Monzo’s engineering discipline across these transformation projects.
You will lead a data team responsible for building and maintaining reporting datasets required to embed control readiness and operational efficiency to allow Monzo to scale. This work will also be crucial to place finance on the right path in our journey to a potential IPO.
You’ll be leading a talented team building and analysing data models for commercial insight into our business performance. This includes building relationships within our Financial Planning & Analysis function and across the business to ensure we have the right analytics capabilities for successful business partnering.
- Establish yourself as a trusted partner to the finance leadership team with a reputation for getting things done
- Work closely with finance leadership to define data’s priorities and support our finance strategy
- Ensure we have the right data capabilities, infrastructure and talent in place to be able to to make data driven commercial decisions and enable robust and reliable financial/regulatory reporting
- Bring data leadership and rigour to our finance function, enabling us to efficiently manage the bank’s performance and risk
- Help hire, develop and retain top tier talented data analysts and data scientists
- Promote a culture of proactive, high quality data insights that can impact the direction of Monzo
You should apply if:
What we’re doing here at Monzo excites you!
- You’ve gathered significant experience in either one of these areas: Financial Reporting, Treasury, Regulatory Reporting or Financial Planning & Analysis
- You've had multiple years of experience in a hands on data role yourself (using SQL) and still feel comfortable getting hands-on as well as taking a step back and thinking strategically
- You have experience managing multiple data individual contributors and data managers in a finance function and you really enjoy that part of the job
- You consider yourself an empathetic leader
- You have experience working together and collaborating with senior business stakeholders and finance teams
Nice to haves
- Experience with strongly-typed languages (e.g. Go, Java, Scala...)
- Working knowledge of Python, Airflow, dbt, Bigquery and Looker
- Experience with financial reporting systems such as NetSuite, SAP, Oracle
The Interview Process:
Our interview process involves 3 main stages. We promise not to ask you any brain teasers or trick questions!
- 30 minute recruiter call
- 45 minute call with hiring manager
- 3 x 1-hour video calls with various team members
Our average process takes around 3-4 weeks but we will always work around your availability. You will have the chance to speak to our recruitment team at various points during your process but if you do have any specific questions ahead of this please contact us on email@example.com
What’s in it for you:
✈️ We can help you relocate to the UK
✅ We can sponsor visas
📍This role can be based in our London office, but we're open to distributed working within the UK (with ad hoc meetings in London).
⏰ We offer flexible working hours and trust you to work enough hours to do your job well, at times that suit you and your team.
📚Learning budget of £1,000 a year for books, training courses and conferences
➕And much more, see our full list of benefitshere
Equal Opportunity Statement
We are actively creating an equitable environment for every Monzonaut to thrive.
Diversity and inclusion are a priority for us and we are making sure we have lots of support for all of our people to grow at Monzo. At Monzo, embracing diversity in all of its forms and fostering an inclusive environment for all people to do the best work of their lives with us. This is integral to our mission of making money work for everyone. You can read more in our blog, 2021 Diversity and Inclusion Report and 2022 Gender Pay Gap Report.
We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, family or parental status, national origin, veteran, neurodiversity status or disability status.