About Low Carbon
Low Carbon is a leading renewable energy company committed to the development, investment and operation of renewable energy at scale. Low Carbon invests into both renewable energy developers and projects across a range of renewable energy technologies including solar PV, wind, energy storage, waste-to-energy and energy efficiency.
Low Carbon, a certified B Corp, has a proven track record in the development, construction, financing and management of renewable energy assets and remains involved in the projects for the long term with a dedicated asset management team that manages assets on balance sheet and for third parties. With a significant international renewable energy pipeline in development of c. 7 GW, Low Carbon is well-positioned to capitalise on opportunities as the need for renewable energy and energy security increases.
Now with over a decade of operation, Low Carbon has formed a strategic partnership with the Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company (MassMutual) to build a leading global renewable energy Independent Power Producer (IPP), targeting 20GW of renewable energy capacity by 2030.
We are extremely proud of the highly professional and talented team at Low Carbon. We have built a positive learning culture that incorporates respect, trust, collaboration, and a shared passion to combat climate change. It is an open, friendly and supportive environment, and we are proud to say we work here. As we grow, we are committed to increasing diversity in the team, and continuing to foster an inclusive environment where we can learn from each other.
The Low Carbon Investment Team
The Low Carbon Investment Team operates across all major renewable and storage sectors, interacts with a broad spectrum of counterparties and invests in locations across the UK, Europe and select global markets. The role of the Investment Team is to deploy early-stage development capital, build multi-technology development platforms and pipelines and undertake / oversee all activities required to take assets through to financial close and into construction.
The Low Carbon Investment Team covers all investment disciplines required to develop, commercialise and finance multi-technology assets from greenfield through to commercial operation.
To deliver the growth ambitions of the business we are continuing to expand our 20 investment professionals team in response to our c. 7 GW pipeline of renewable energy projects currently in development and c. 500MW currently in construction.
As an Investment Director, you will join to focus on growing Low Carbon’s market presence in onshore wind, across an ever expanding European geographic footprint. This role will be based in our modern London office with travel required as appropriate.
With a flexible approach to structuring and capital deployment, a focus on asset creation / early stage development and a portfolio approach to driving long term, sustainable value across the entire project lifecycle, this is a rare opportunity to join an established, well capitalised and proven renewable energy generation and storage IPP in a high profile, high impact role.
- Working closely with the Managing Director to develop and execute multi-market investment strategies for new onshore wind development opportunities
- Lead origination efforts to source and screen the feasibility of potential early stage development opportunities and management teams across select European geographies with a primary focus on onshore wind
- Working with the wider Investment Team, take overall ownership of transaction execution to secure the optimal deal structure in select target markets e.g. assembling and managing Low Carbon wholly owned development teams, JV partnerships, acquisitions etc.
- Supervise and manage the performance of developments Low Carbon has invested in or partnered alongside including potential roles as a board member or observer
- Coach junior members of the team and take on people management responsibilities
- Lead on key aspects to deliver portfolios of assets through all stages of development to financial close – leading all the relevant disciplines and workstreams required including:
- Transaction structuring and modelling / valuation (with support from Low Carbon’s in-house legal, tax, finance and investment teams)
- Due diligence / documentation process (with support from within the Investment team and support from the relevant development teams) and presentation to the Investment Committee
- P&L responsibility for development budget spend
- Construction procurement process (with the support from Low Carbon’s technical and procurement team)
- Route to market contracting (with support from and in conjunction with Low Carbon’s Power Sales function)
- Project financing process (with support from and in conjunction with Low Carbon’s Financing function)
- Become a thought leader within the team for developing and realising green energy solutions across a number of markets
- Work across multiple European geographies
Skills and Experience
- Experience in both renewable energy development and principal investment is a requirement
- Strong origination capability and a proven track record of successfully negotiating and executing a range of onshore wind development stage opportunities
- Experience or a demonstrable, detailed understanding of both the key technical and commercial aspects associated with the entire onshore wind project development process including land acquisition, planning and permitting law and process, optimising resource and project design, grid regimes etc. to be able to independently assess projects and efficiently coordinate internal and external experts
- Knowledge of power market designs and regulatory frameworks in Europe
- Experience in negotiating the full suite of transaction, project and financing documentation to optimise the value proposition and secure appropriate risk allocation is a key requirement of the role
- Analytical mindset and highly capable with financial modelling
- A clear understanding of financial valuation theories coupled with core accounting and tax skills
- Commercial mindset, able to own investment decision making and be able to present opportunities to senior management/investment committees
- An ability to understand risks, reach a balanced appraisal of probability and impact, and build workable risk mitigation strategies
- Exceptional project management and organisational skills. Evidence of managing complex workloads in a fast-paced environment and being able to execute transactions as a principal
- A well-developed network in the renewables sector and ability to represent Low Carbon at key industry events
- Excellent communicator and able to interact with all key stakeholders in the key development, procurement and financing processes (developers, networks, governmental authorities, financiers etc.). Indications of an aptitude to communicate effectively and tailor the communications to the needs of the recipient will be important
- Fluency in European languages is a plus but not mandatory
- Possesses proven track record and qualifications in relevant areas for this role
- Ambitious and driven – this is a unique opportunity to deliver real impact by building and implementing a development and investment strategy for Low Carbon in the sector
- Senior, independent, technically proficient with deep market knowledge
- Entrepreneurial – a strong sense of what drives value in projects and an ability to create value opportunities
- Have a ‘hands on’ approach, visible across the business with good communication and other interpersonal skills
- A strong commitment to the ethics and values of Low Carbon with regards to investing in a renewable future and reversing the impact of climate change
- Commercially astute, thoughtful and considered
- Be driven, dynamic, forward thinking, innovative and agile; and be comfortable working in a high growth, fast paced, adaptable environment
- Be able to act in confidence, with discretion and tact
- An outstanding level of tenacity, autonomy and drive
- An independently motivated and creative individual and a good problem solver
- A confident communicator who can easily build rapport, inspire confidence, and develop long-term relationships with all stakeholder groups
- A natural collaborator who brings out the best in people and respects people at all levels
- 26 days holiday plus your birthday off
- Competitive annual salary and annual bonus; highly attractive carry structure to provide significant upside for successful performance
- Discretionary Bonus
- Annual Bupa Health Check
- Private Healthcare for you and your family (medical history disregarded)
- Contributory Pension
- Cycle scheme
- Sodexo for commercial discounts and perks
- 3 additional days for volunteering to support causes of your choice
- £50 credit per month towards short notice childcare, eldercare and pet care via ‘Bubble’