Unmind is a workplace mental health platform. We empower employees to live more fulfilling and balanced lives by changing the way organisations around the world think about mental health. We believe that everyone has the right to a healthy mind – because we all have mental health, all of the time – and we’re striving to create a world where mental health is universally understood, nurtured, and celebrated.
Having closed our Series B funding in April 2021, and looking ahead to our Series C, we're excited about the next stage of growth which will enable us to deliver on our mission to improve the mental wellbeing of ten million people in organisations around the world. We’re a high-performing team with around 155 Unminders across London, Sydney and New York and would love for you to join us as our new Interim Head of Psychology.
Uniting Behind Uniqueness
At Unmind we believe in “Uniting Behind Uniqueness” based on the belief that humans are endlessly unique and their opportunities are equally important. In order to fulfil our mission, we want our team to represent the diversity of our users which is why we’re committed to building an inclusive workplace where we encourage everyone to bring their whole selves to work. We want to foster a culture where everybody feels included, heard, and equal – regardless of age, disability, gender, neurodiversity, marital or parental status, race, religion or belief, or sexual orientation.
If there are any adjustments we can make that would help improve your experience with Unmind, please do let us know when you apply or email us at email@example.com.
The Role – Interim Head of Psychology
As Interim Head of Psychology, you’ll lead Unmind’s Psychology team - a close-knit team comosed of several disciplines of psychology (clinical, counselling, positive and organisational). The team have a broad range of responsibilities, including developing evidence-based content and delivering engaging workshops for our global client base, alongside numerous projects linked to commercial and technical business priorities.
Supervised by an experienced clinical psychologist, you’ll ensure that the team is focused on key strategic priorities and delivering high-quality work that will help Unmind transform workplace mental health.
In this role, you’ll have touch points across the business, aligning closely with our Content, Product, Marketing, Client Success and Sales teams. You’ll bring a strong psychology voice to business decisions, and you’ll be a go-to person for answering psychology-related questions.
A large part of this role will involve overseeing ways of working with our Product and Content teams, ensuring processes are in place to enable psychologists to innovate at speed, without compromising on rigour. You’ll be responsible for day-to-day operations, troubleshooting problems as they arise, and ensuring our Psychology resource is used in the most impactful way. You’ll also own specific areas of clinical governance, including oversight of content quality and effectiveness, and you’ll take a data-informed approach, flexing in response to feedback from users, clients and business stakeholders.
You’ll also lean into (and grow) your professional network, bringing onboard credible clinicians and academics from around the world, supporting them to create evidence-based, impactful content and deliver workshops to a high standard.
An important part of the role will be to represent Unmind in our wider ecosystem, helping us maintain our position as thought leaders in the field. This will include speaking at industry events, hosting engaging sessions for our clients, and sometimes popping to our London-based studio to record the odd bit of content.
Our ways of working
- The Psychology team sits within the Science team, alongside the disciplines of Research and Therapy Services. As Head of Psychology, you’ll be part of the Science leadership team, working alongside our Head of Research and Head of Therapies and Coaching.
- Science really is at the heart of Unmind, and as a team, we touch every corner of the business. That means this role has potential to make a big impact, and you’ll be challenged and rewarded in equal measure.
- Team Science are a close-knit team, and we have a strong team identity. We support one another, we value collaboration, and we’ve built a team culture with high psychological safety.
- The pace at Unmind is fast! Goalposts frequently change and we often have to deal with uncertainty, but this means we see results quickly. We do carve out time to stop and reflect as a team, but to thrive in this role, you’ll need to be comfortable with thinking on your feet!
This is a fixed-term post for 12 months (maternity cover)
In this role, you’ll get to:
- LEAD: Manage a team of psychologists who have a broad range of responsibilities. You’ll ensure team members are aligned on key priorities, supported to play to their strengths, and fulfilled in their roles.
- COLLABORATE: Work closely with stakeholders across the business, fostering great working relationships, and developing shared processes that enable teams to innovate at speed and deliver value.
- DELIVER: Oversee the content creation process from the Psychology side. This will include shaping the content roadmap, ensuring content is clinically sound, and ensuring its delivered to the highest possible standard.
- GOVERN: Ensure solid clinical governance is at the heart of everything we do as an organisation, that we’re staying true to the evidence base, and that we continue to hold ourselves accountable to the highest standards of ethics.
- REPRESENT: Bring the voice of Psychology to multidisciplinary meetings, ensuring we continue to take a psychologically-informed approach. You’ll also have the opportunity to join calls with clients to support our commercial teams and present thought-leading sessions.
- BUILD: Form working relationships with clinicians and academics globally, to help us build a trusted network who can deliver high-quality content and events.
Skills and Experience
We firmly believe that no one is the finished article and that there should be learning in every role you do. However, some experience in the following is important for this position:
- Doctorate in clinical or counselling psychology
- At least 5 years’ experience working in digital mental health, with a strong understanding of product and commercial priorities, and the unique opportunities and challenges for psychology
- Strong track record of leadership, with demonstrated ability to lead and inspire high-performing teams
- Highly skilled in forging and maintaining strong working relationships at all levels of an organisation, and across disciplines
- Comfortable representing psychology on client calls and presenting to a range of audiences, both virtually and in-person
- Strong bias for action, a keen eye for detail, and skilled at project management
- Passionate about mental health, tech-for-good, and generally improving people’s lives.
- Comfortable working in an environment of rapid growth, constant change, and lots of unknowns.
- Hungry to make Unmind the global category leader of workplace mental health.
At Unmind we believe in having a whole person approach and we hope that our benefits enhance the lives of Unminders, helping them be happy, healthy and fulfilled. You can see the full details of our benefits on our careers page, but they include:
- Private Medical Insurance for you and your family
- Unmind Equity scheme
- 25 days annual leave plus your birthday day off and celebration days
- Flexible working, including flexible use of Public Holidays
- Summer Fridays
- £1,000 annual learning budget with 2 days learning leave
- Monthly ClassPass Subscription
- Dog-friendly workplace