Direct email applications ONLY - If you wish to be considered for this position, all documentation should be sent via EMAIL to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note we are only able to accept applications from candidates who have the right to work in the UK.
Please email us your CV and a cover letter of no more than 1000 words explaining:
- What excites you about Hatch as an organisation and about this role in particular?
- How do you manage a busy workload with multiple tasks and projects to ensure that work is delivered on time and with a high level of accuracy?
- What would you do in this role that would really make an impact?
- Where did you first hear about this opportunity?
Send these to us via email with “Finance Manager Application - Your Name” as the subject line.
- Salary: £35,300 - £38,000 with scope for salary progression
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Hours: Full Time (typically 09.30-17.30 but with flexibility)
- Location: Elephant & Castle / Remote
- Application Deadline: 2nd October 2022
- Interview Dates: 1st Interviews w/c 10th October, 2nd Interviews w/c 24th October
Do you love organising, and being able to manage a varied workload with a range of deadlines? Are you highly numerate with an eye for detail, good communication skills, and a love of spreadsheets? Are you happy working independently as part of a small team to support a smooth running finance function, and managing financial systems and processes that work for you and others? Then you could be the Finance Manager we are looking for!
Hatch is undergoing a growth spurt; we have ambitious goals and big projects underway to double our income, our team and the number of founders we support. The Finance function within Hatch is critical to the ongoing success and day to day operation of all our services and activities as we grow.
The Finance Manager will follow the established finance framework of processes and procedures to ensure the finance function runs smoothly and effectively. This new role will be responsible for the day-to-day financial functions, and will be integral to the efficient working of the finance team and providing key financial management information. You will work closely with people from across the Hatch team on regular reforecasting processes , and with others in the finance team to produce monthly/quarterly accounts, undertake variance analysis, implement financial processes and controls, and make sure Hatch meets all statutory and charitable law requirements.
You will be excited by the challenge of providing efficient and effective support as part of a small finance team, taking on the majority of our regular monthly cash monitoring and financial management work.
Invoicing and Payments
- Overseeing the sales and purchase ledger, including approving of weekly payment runs
Cash and Monitoring
- Updating monthly actuals and maintenance of forecast of cashflow
- Working with fundraising team to update on prospective contracted funds in the cashflow
- Working with programmes team to maintain and report on project budgets in line with internal and funder requirements
- Supporting with the development of budgets for fundraising proposals
- Ensuring full cost recovery and prudent management of Hatch's financial systems and processes, including constant review of best practice, ensuring all processes are efficient and effective
- Weekly/Monthly bookkeeping process including adding journals into Quickbooks and balance sheet reconciliations.
- Producing monthly cashflow report
- Producing quarterly management accounts
- Monthly administration of VATable income and expenditure
- Supporting with annual administration of VAT return
- Supporting on preparation and submission of annual Corporation Tax return
Audit, Annual Report and Accounts
- Organising documentation as required prior to Audit
- Supporting with the audit and year-end process and responding to the auditors enquiries
- Maintaining organisational calendar of key internal and external cycles, filing and other deadlines
- Ensuring full compliance with finance policies and procedures across the organisation
- Supporting with the on-going improvement of the financial systems, policies and procedures ensure they remain fit for purpose and to ensure best practice
- Supporting with the finance induction for new joiners
- Responding promptly and accurately to internal and external finance queries
- Undertake other duties consistent with the post and, where necessary, to assist with other areas of work as required
Knowledge and Experience:
- AAT qualified and/or part-qualified accountant or equivalent by experience or working towards completing their studies
- Proven professional experience (at least 2 years) in the finance function of a developing charity or small business
- Experience of using online accounting software (Quickbooks/Xero - Desirable)
- Experience and knowledge of VAT processing
- Understanding of the charity sector would be beneficial, alongside knowledge of the associated accounting framework (SORP)
- Experience in producing financial modelling would be advantageous but not essential
- Ability to confidently reconcile and analyse large volumes of data within Excel
- Numerical skills, including the preparation, and interpretation of financial information
- Attention to detail and accuracy in all aspects of your work
- Written and verbal communication skills with ability to liaise with different teams effectively
- Time management skills and ability to prioritise effectively
- Planning - you are organised, and are always looking a few steps ahead
- Prioritisation - you like to be busy and are great at managing multiple projects and activities at once
- Solutions oriented - you can spot when something could be done better, faster, or more smoothly and wonʼt hesitate to change things to make your job and othersʼ easier
- Flexible and proactive - you are willing to get stuck into any task, however large or small
- Self- motivated - you are comfortable working independently and taking the initiative
- People oriented - you thrive in a team environment, build positive relationships and understand that this is how the work gets done
- High levels of integrity and ability to act confidentially
- Itʼs important that you have an interest in start-ups or not-for-profits. Thatʼs what we do here at Hatch and we want you to share our passion for it!
We care about our people and giving them the things they need to succeed.
We have always been supportive of flexible working, which has become even more important recently. We have an office in Elephant & Castle, which is available for anyone to work from as much or as little as theyʼd like. For those working at home, weʼll provide you with a laptop to get you set up. In the post-COVID world weʼre experimenting with full flexibility to work from home or in the office as it suits you, but hope the whole team will be able to come together periodically.
- Flexible working - work from home or in the office and at the times that work best for you
- 37 fully flexible holiday days (including the 8 UK bank holidays)
- 3% employer pension contribution
- £750 annual budget for learning and development or wellbeing activities
- Paid time off for dedicated learning and development opportunities
- 4 days per year paid time off to volunteer
We believe everyone has potential. We are committed to increasing diversity among business owners, and we want to do the same for our team. If youʼve read this far, and you like the sound of the job, but youʼre worried you donʼt quite fit the requirements, weʼd love it if you went ahead and applied.
We want to ensure that our team represents a wider cross-section of society than a typical start-up, and we know that means we have to make an effort to understand and accommodate different peopleʼs needs. If you would require any reasonable adjustments to be made to support you to apply, interview or join the Hatch team please contact us.
If you have any questions or need any help with your application, please drop us an email. (Recruiters will be politely turned away)